Chapter 19

As much as Gerard wants to stay home and finish up some pieces he's been working on, he has to go out to deliver a painting to a client; a woman from Frank's factory that handles their finances. He has to take Melissa with her and she doesn't seem to mind at all. She's very enthusiastic about it all and even earns a small square of Snicker's from the bowl of candy sitting on the table of the client.

"Dad, are you gonna do this every weekend?"

"I don't know. I'll have to do it when I have too."

"Because I wanna go where you go." She adds before she starts skipping to the car. "You can come with me as long it's not during school or something important for you." He shrugs. Melissa nods eagerly and flings the back door open. On the way home the silence is filled with Gerard and Melissa singing along to AC/DC...accompanied by the weird dance moves Melissa has acquired shamefully from her father.

"Runaway train...runnin' right off the track." Melissa hums to herself while Gerard unlocks the front door. "You start your new school tomorrow," Gerard reminds her as he stands aside to let her in. "I know! I'm scared." She admits. "Why?" He locks the door and then sits on the couch, patting the spot next to him. She sighs and rests her head in one hand. "I have to make all new friends and me and Alex might not have any classes together. And what if they still make fun of me?"

"They won't. And they're not making fun of you. They're making fun of me. You'll be fine, sweetheart. I promise. Don't worry about that stuff. Just focus on learning and having fun doing it- like you always do." He grabs her sides and that makes her scream and laugh as he pulls her into his lap. "I love you." He smiles, poking her neck. "I love you, too."

"Liar." Gerard teases before he hugs her hard, her face inside his shirt. "I'm not lying!" He begins tickling her and it's a mission to do that all while holding her skinny and squirmy body. "I'm not lying!" She shrieks again, falling to the ground. She pants heavily and Gerard just laughs at her. Hard.

"Mmm!" She whines, poking her lips out while pushing hair away from her face. She jumps back on the couch though she sits all the way on the other side. "My armpits hurt because of you." Gerard laughs at her again and she tries to keep the angry face on. But when he sticks his tongue out and widens his eyes she laughs with him.

They spend the rest of the day together watching movies, reading, and Melissa helps Gerard make dinner- which is lasagna. While Melissa takes her bath, Gerard sighs and flops down on the couch. He has bills to pay and he needs to go shopping. He also needs to do something with his daughter's hair since it's getting really long. Maybe braid it because he knows Melissa won't want to cut it. So, to take his mind off all of that at the moment, he calls Frank.

Hey, this is Frank. Obviously, I'm not available right now. Leave a message-and your number if I don't know you- and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Gerard doesn't want to leave a message so he hangs up and goes to check up on the Lasagna. "Mel, you okay in there?!" He yells as he looks the cheese over. Melissa doesn't like the cheese to just be white and melted. She wants it brown and a little burned and it's almost to that point so it's all good. "Yes!" Melissa replies.