Chapter 3

Gerard almost fell getting out of his car. Sometime at 6 in the evening, all he heard was the blaring of sirens, the murmuring of people and the police and their radios. He'd had a panic attack driving on his way to Lindsey's house and had to pull over, praying to God he didn't pass out and that he would make it here safely.

Praying to God Lindsey was okay, though the two totaled cars in the street said differently.

"Daddy!"

Gerard whirled around and saw Melissa standing next to Luke who was talking to one of the police. Gerard jogged over and Melissa let go of Luke's hand to take two steps before jumping into her father's arms. "Daddy!" She cried, squeezing his neck. "Sh. It's okay, baby. Sh." He was so happy to have her in his arms, not seeing a scratch on her...but what about Lindsey? Gerard scanned the scene with his eyes and they stopped on the ambulance until the police spoke.

"Who are you?"

"Where's Lindsey?" Gerard asked him instead, his throat tightening as he rubbed Melissa's back, feeling her tears soak through his shirt. He instantly moved away from Luke out of habit. "Sir, please take a deep breath and let's start-" "Don't tell me to take a deep breath." Gerard breathed in deeply through his nose, sensing his heart rate slowly increase. Fuck. Another panic attack. He couldn't help it. What if Lindsey was dead? What if she was dying? The mother of her child would be no longer if she doesn't survive the crash. What will he do then? What will he tell Melissa?

"Shit." Gerard whispered, quickly unlocking his daughter's arms so he could set her down just in case he went completely weak. Melissa looked up at him with her red rimmed eyes, wondering why he did. Gerard braced his hands on the back of the police car, trying desperately to steady his breathing. He was swaying- or at least that's what it felt like. He heard a car door slam...probably another cop. It was muffled and garbled and then the thought of Lindsey dying again and having to raise Melissa mother-less flashed across his mind.

He started to wheeze.

He felt hands on him but didn't know who they belonged to. He heard Melissa calling him but couldn't answer.

"Breathe." A voice entered his fuzzed mind and along with it was a soothing hand on his back.

"Breathe, Gerard. Don't think. Just breathe."

So he did. He concentrated on breathing and nothing else. "Calm down. Breathe..." He recognized the voice now. It was Frank. When did he get here?

Half a minute later, Gerard's forehead was against the car and Frank was telling the police man the information he'd wanted. He heard the cries from the other family but tried not to pay attention to it. He was still focused on breathing. "Come on, Gee." Frank said, lifting him up. He avoided Melissa's eyes, knowing that she was probably crying some more. "I'm fine." He whispered, weakly swatting Frank's hands away. How could this happen in from of Lindsey's house? Apparently, Lindsey was driving forward off of the driveway and didn't notice the speeding car hurtling down the street. Lindsey also listens to music from her phone while she's driving and Gerard has told her countless times to not do it because it prevents her from hearing outside the car...

"Where's Lindsey? Is she in there or at the hospital?" "She's currently on her way to the hospital, sir."

Frank grabbed Gerard by the arm and whispered, "I'm gonna take Mel, okay? You go-" "I'll go. Gerard can leave." Luke offered. "Just because we aren't together doesn't mean I'm not gonna be there for her, alright?!" Gerard snapped and everyone stared at him. He looked down at the asphalt before sighing and saying, "Thank you, Frank." Frank nodded solemnly and patted his arm. "I'll see you later, sweetie. I promise." Gerard grabbed her hand and walked with Frank to his car. "Is Mommy going to die?"