Chapter 14

Gerard is laying in his bed staring at his door. As much as he wanted Frank to stay, he told him he didn't have to; that work was more important than comforting an idiot(to which he started to protest of course). He'd taken a lot of days off work so Gerard thought he needed to get back on track.

Gerard sniffed and turned on his back. His room was enveloped in darkness. Even the light from his window barely shimmied its way pass the curtains tonight.

Gerard had never seen his daughter so mad in his life. She never got angry. Sure, sometimes she'd get upset but she would get over it with a smile. Now, however, this was a different story. She was extremely angry and Gerard shamefully knew it was something she'd obviously inherited from him.

Anger to replace the pain and heartache.

Anger that presents itself in the form of words and possibly violence instead of tears.

How would he approach her now that he'd told her? He'd tried to get close to her during the day but since then, she would just push him away with that grimace that was so like her mother's. Her words echoed throughout his head and he sighed heavily, closing his eyelids while he took a deep breath. As always, he evaluated everything that surrounded or would soon surround his daily life at the moment.

Lindsey's parents were coming.

Melissa was mad at him.

He had no idea what Frank was feeling.

And Gerard himself felt pathetic and useless.

When his eyes started to dry out and yawning wouldn't produce the tears he needed, he finally closed them and fell asleep.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

The next morning, Melissa was distant but still dressed and washed up like Gerard asked her too. Since she chose not to attend school she would have to accompany him to work.

There, he accepts his co workers' condolences, but it's painfully obvious how Melissa is taking it. No one dares to talk to her. Every half hour Gerard would bring her a cookie or a shake as she sat on the stool behind the counter with him. She never said thank you. From thinking so much, Gerard developed a migraine and was rubbing a hand over his face. His boss was kind enough to not reprimand Gerard for his absence of work, not calling or anything, and now he had clapped a hand on Gerard's shoulder.

"Gerard...you should go home."

"No, okay? I have to work. I need the money. For the funeral...shopping. Just stuff..." He said in a susurrant tone, taking his heavy hand off politely.
"Paid vacation?" "No! I already took a vacation. I just need to work. It's not fair to everyone else-" He came to an abrupt stop as he noticed the sides of his vision blurring and the feeling of him swaying covered his frame.

"Gerard?"

"I need to sit." Gerard whispered shakily, his pale hands grabbing at the ledge of the counter. He felt his boss's hands, frantic on his shoulders as he tried to lead him to a booth, his shouts for someone to bring him a wet towel muffled before his eyesight was completely blurred.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

When Gerard awoke, it took him more seconds than necessary to realize he was at Frank's house.

Of course.

His body was weak and tingling as he threw the covers back and sat up. Eyes lidded heavily, he opened the room door and trudged into Frank's living room. "Do you understand now?" He heard Frank ask someone quietly. "Yeah." He heard his daughter reply and then she burst out crying. "No! No, why are you crying?" Frank cooed.