Chapter 45 - Consequences

I know I'm in a flashback, but I don't remember flashing back to it. I'm walking down a hallway lined with doors that need keycards to get into.

I stop in front a room labeled "morgue."

I pull a keycard from the pocket of the lab-coat I'm wearing but the door opens before I insert the card.

It's an LE. He doesn't say anything to me, and takes a step to leave the room, but I grab his arm and stop him.

"Did you tell him?" I hiss through clenched teeth.

"No, doctor," he whispers back. "We had an agreement. And, he only wanted to hear from you."

I'm the doctor from the basement.

"You better keep your end of it, because if he finds out what really happened, it won't just be over for me, but for everyone there who fired a gun, including you," I hiss.

The LE nods and takes his leave.

I don't take my eyes from the figure standing with his back to me as I shut the door behind us. It only takes me a second to realize that the sheet-covered object behind him is a body.

I fold my hands and rest them against my stomach.

"President Jaz, sir, I'm so sorry for your loss," I apologize.

President Jaz turns around.

"Dr. McAvery, tell me what happened," He demands.

"The kids from the memorial hospital were attempting an escape," I answer. "I tried to reason with them. I told your daughter and Ms. Vera that they had 10 seconds to come forward or we would kill all of their friends. I wouldn't have threatened like that if I had known that the rest of their friends were armed."

"What do you mean armed?" He asks.

"They had stolen guns from some of the guards they knocked out," I answer. "The second we finished counting down, they opened fire."

"And you didn't fire back?"

"You ordered us not to hit Ms. Vera or your daughter and we obeyed. If we had opened fire, we would have hit them both as they were standing in front of their friends."

"Then how did she get hit in the chest?"

"Those kids had no idea what they were doing. They turned around to run. One of the kids tried to shoot behind him. He must not have seen your daughter in the way, or he just didn't care."

"Which one."

"The brunette with long hair, Calebyronus McCoy. Now that I think of him, he never was too fond of your daughter. There's possibility it wasn't an accident."

"Where is he now."

"We are doing everything in our power to locate those children. There's a hideout in the woods that they stayed when they escaped the basement and-"

"You know what I think? I think you need to get better control of your patients. My understanding is that this particular group has given you a lot of trouble. Is this true?"

"Yes, sir, but Jade is very sly and..."

"I don't want to hear excuses!" His voice rises to a yell.