Chapter 15 - Remembering

The guards watched us for the whole day. literally, they stood outside our door listening to everything we said. We ended up spending most of the day talking about animals. There's nothing contradictory about that. Except for they started a debate about which was better a Cog or a Bunnird.

I don't know much about hybrids, besides the fact that they die quickly and are usually disagreeable. Hybrids are still the same now. Apparently Cogs (cat-dogs) are very vicious and not pet-like at all. But, according to Spenzo, they're better than Bunnirds (Bunny-birds) because Bunnirds look freaky with huge ears and wings and they don't like humans. In my opinion, neither is better because they'd be better off as the animal they were originally intended to be.

The whole conversation was for show, however. The only thing we really wanted to talk about was the Doctor's talk with me. Except for Tammie, Zuke and Kinnie, of course, they were sleeping for practically the whole day only waking up to go to the bathroom, puke or eat a little something.

We didn't know anything about how Cale was doing, and we didn't dare ask the guards when the LE's were in earshot.

Currently, I was laying in my bed, listening to the guards' occasional chatter in the hall. I couldn't sleep, cause my head hurt so much. I sat up to go drink some water from the tap but my brain had other ideas. It started to swirl and I flashed back.

"Just look. We're changing history," My dad announced and he put his arm around me. I think I was, nine, maybe 10. We are standing in front of some sort of machine, it looked like the insides of a car.

"Dad," 9-year-old me says. "It looks hideous. We're not done yet."

"Yes I know, but the mechanics are the hardest part," my dad says.

"Ehh, I guess," I reply. 'I'd helped my dad build a whole car. Well, the insides at least. That counts for something. We build a lot together. But, we'd never built a car. I have to admit, it was kind of hard, but fun too.' I think.

"You know we're the first people to do this, right?" My dad tells me.

"We are?" I reply.

"Yes, we're the first to do a lot of things," My dad smirks a bit, the way a mad scientist might. The flashback fades.

So, when I told Cale that I'd never heard of a flying car on my first day down here, I'd been lying. Oh well, how was I supposed to know that.

Suddenly, I didn't feel like getting a drink of water, so I laid back down on the bed, thinking. I had actually helped build a flying car? Should that surprise me? Maybe. It felt sort of right, actually, the whole flying car thing. It seemed like something I would do. My headache pulses as another memory pushes forward.

"Class, for this lab, it's especially important you choose your partner wisely," My teacher, Mrs. Vandoy, announced. I figure I was 12. I was in science class.

At that announcement about 10 kids came up to me. But, I looked around for one specific person. I look at another girl across the room and mouth "Whitney, partners?" to her. She nods earnestly. I hurry over to her.

"When you have your partners, follow the instructions on the packet very carefully," The teacher tells us.

"Alright, Jade. What are we doing?" Whitney asked.

"Simple, we're extracting DNA from a strawberry. Easy stuff, you go get the cheesecloth and funnel and I'll get the buffer and the bag," I say.

"What? We didn't even open the lab yet," Whitney cries.

"Strawberry extraction is so easy, are you kidding me?" I reply and hurry off to get the strawberry.

The flashback fades out.

I'd never had two flashback so close together. From the pain in my head, I didn't want to again.

The doctor had said she'd wanted something from me. Maybe it was knowledge about building flying cars, or something. Maybe they need one of the original creators to fix a problem. That's probably not it, though. Why would she need to threaten me about it then?

Thinking sucks. I just want to sleep. So I do. I snuggle against the rough pillow and I fall asleep to explosions and war.