Chapter 16 - Awake

The first thing that happens when I awake is a flashback. It was a man that was talking to my dad.

"Dr. Vera, you've been inventing an awful lot lately," a small man with fading gray hair and thick glasses says.

"I know, isn't it great," my dad replies.

"Yes, it is," the man hurries on. "But, we're making so much devices that might not be very conventional to the general public."

"Why sell to the general public if we can make a lot more selling to greater people?"

"Greater people?" The man questions.

"Yes, like the invention of the energon converter mechanism," my dad uses an example. "The one my daughter assisted me with?"

"What about it," the man says hesitantly.

"It can use any kind energy and convert it to energy used in the machine it's connected to. Do you know how much easier that would make use of machines?" My dad asks.

"A lot easier, but the ECM is still in prototype phase, I don't think-"

"It may still be a prototype, but it works and it's ready for production."

"But, doctor, you're investing so much money in these inventions."

"The benefits will far outweigh the losses. Trust me on this," my dad says, and walks away from the other man. The flashback fades out.

I didn't know what to think about it, and I didn't see how that related to anything. Apparently, there was this thing called an ECM that converts energy. I could bet that it was something widely used today.

I sit up in bed and swing my legs over the side; I'm surprised to see someone laying in the other bed, looking back at me. Cale was back.

"Cale, you're back," I say.

"Yeah," he replies.

"How do you feel?" I ask.

"Pretty good, actually. I got the salmonella shot, so I'm okay," Cale replies.

"Salmonella shot?" I repeat.

"Yeah, it's the cure for salmonella," Cale says.

"Since when can people take a shot and be rid of salmonella?" I wonder.

Cale just shrugs and props himself up against the bed frame.

"How was yesterday?" He asks.

"Tough. The guards stood in front of our door the whole day, so we couldn't really say much," I tell him.

"I'm assuming the LE's are still here," Cale glances at the open door. I don't say anything, I just watch the door, knowing that any moment the guards will come. They don't though. Not for about an hour. And, when they passed, they passed with the LEs in a tow.

"Thank you for coming," one of the guards says. "We'll make sure to take good care of them."

"Yes, that would be in your best interest, if you don't want J to find out. He would not like what he sees," an LE tells him. "Make sure his demands are met, and we'll be back in a week." The two LEs go out of sight, but I assume they're going up the stairs and out of the hospital.

The guards shut our door and lock it, and I hear them do it all down the hall.

"What was that about?" I whisper to Cale.

"I don't know, but I don't like it," Cale replies, staring at the door. I can't quench the rumbles in my stomach that are not from hunger.