Chapter 1

There's a reason why I sit in the back of every single class

From here, I can't feel their beady eyes staring into the back of my head like vultures. But even when I'm the one looking at their backs, they're still somehow able to make me feel like an exhibit. They watch me with fidgeting eyes that I know too much about. I know what it's like to be on the other side of the pane of glass.

I wasn't outgoing before it happened—before my sister was murdered. But it wasn't like this. I didn't go out of my way to avoid every single person in the entire world. Any friends that I used to have were gone. Though, I couldn't really say that they were my friends in the first place. I didn't know much about them and they didn't care to know anything about me.

None of that matters anyway. I hide now. In the shadows where no one ever bothers to look. I'm a shadow on the wall. Nothing to really see.

This is where I'm welcomed. This is where I'm comfortable.

If I tried to become something that I'm not—a student that socializes and befriends everyone—I'd be eaten alive.

That's why I don't speak to her.

Perrie Underwood.

She sits at the front of the class with her hair braided and tied off with a small pink bow. Her dark brown hair shimmers in the light. The lip gloss on her soft lips does the same. What she wears, a white cardigan with a pink skirt with white tennis shoes, they reflect who she is—sweet and welcoming.

I could speak to her if I wanted—pretend to pick up a conversation that we never even started—but even though she would be nice, the others wouldn't. Her friends are like sharks. They're looking for the next thing to attack. They want bloody gossip that will tear through the school like a bullet train. They want a massacre.

And it isn't just them. The loud guys in our class would laugh me out. They'd know as well that I didn't have a chance with her. It didn't matter if they didn't have a chance with her either. It didn't matter that Perrie was too sweet to be with anyone.

"Darwood!"

I was in the middle of imagining running my hand through her thick curly hair when my bubble was burst by Mr. Sax jabbing his pointing stick into my side. The tip stuck me right between the ribs.

I jumped in my seat, biting my tongue to swallow the yelp that had crawled up my throat. The entire class turned in their seats to get a look at the scene that was playing out. That might be the worst thing about sitting in the back. I could really tell when they were looking at me. The times they had to go out of their way to actually look at me had to be bad.

My face went hot with little over twenty pairs of eyes locked onto me.

I slowly turned my head in Mr. Sax's direction.

He was a tall thin man who taught English and Band. He was, typically, more attentive to his musically talented students. The rumor was that he only took up this English class because he needed more working hours.