Chapter 9

The rhythmic swinging of Perrie's high pigtails hypnotized me like a pengolem rocking back and forth in front of my face

The rhythmic swinging of Perrie's high pigtails hypnotized me like a pengolem rocking back and forth in front of my face. Her high pitched laugh shattered through the loud shouts and yells of the other students in the courtyard. I watched her from the bench in front of the metal stands. I tried to peek out of the corner of my eyes, pretending to be looking at the textbook in front of me, but I wasn't fooling anyone. It was hard to not openly stare at her.

She was dressed in a black t-shirt and green shorts. Her shoes matched—the color of a sour apple candy. She and her friends were hitting a tetherball back and forth. The metal pole was weaving back and forth under the force of their hits.

More people surrounded them, watching form the sidelines or either wanting their turn. It was obvious to anyone looking in that this was the popular crowd. They were dressed nice, they were good looking in one way or another, and they participated in the boring school activities that seemed more like parent sanctioned parties where they could hang out.

I pick them all out. Our school was large, but our class—12C—was a small portion at around fifty. We had grown together in the same class since we were in elementary. It also helped that everyone that hung around Perrie would be locked into my memory.

When I felt that I had been looking for far too long, I stared down at my book. I fingered at the pages, but I wasn't reading any of it.

Perrie was the only girl at the moment who was playing tetherball. The other three guys playing with her was blond bronzed skin guy that played football named Matt, a black guy who as Matt's best friend named Philip, and a thin but fit guy named Roger.

They were the same guys that hovered around Perrie like flies. They all thought they had a chance to get with her knowing that she never dated anyone in school. Everyone knew that she was off limits only on her own accord. It wasn't that she was saving herself or anything like that. She just didn't find any of the guys that interesting.

They weren't worth her time.

I fully agreed. It wasn't just something that I made up in my mind either. I'd heard it from her mouth in passing. She'd been telling her best friend Kaylee that she wasn't looking for a boyfriend. She was perfectly fine being single.

Though, she did take the occasional date to a dance.

I grimaced.

But it wasn't because she wanted to get closer to them. It would just be odd if she went alone. No one to dance with...

I forced my eyes closed. I took a deep breath.

"Whew! I'm so pooped!"

I jolted as I heard Perrie's voice right next to me.

"How much longer do we have until the bell rings?" Kaylee asked. She wiped her forehead free of sweat.

Roger checked his phone. "About five minutes."