Chapter 14

Perrie came back with the back of her hair ruffled and her lips red

Perrie came back with the back of her hair ruffled and her lips red. She smiled without her teeth as she sat down. I stared at her as she took the hem of her shirt and wiped her lips. Across the circle, Shane was laughing with a few other guys as they patted him on the back. I glared at the small group, but not for too long that they would notice.

I averted my eyes, but though I pretended that I was unbothered, I was the complete opposite. My hands balled at my sides and I felt a rush of anger swell inside of me. I didn't know what I could possibly do—I wasn't exactly strong enough to take an entire group of people, but I just wanted to punch Shane so hard that his lips were redder than Perrie's had been.

Mitch was looking at me. I could feel his stare piercing the side of my face. I ignored him, too frustrated to deal with him at the moment. My last Never Have I Ever was still stuck in my head and so was Mitch's answer. It was obviously a jab at me. He meant the person that he'd bitten was Perrie which shouldn't have been a problem. That was his girlfriend. But of course, my stupid self couldn't comprehend that.

I wish I could kick myself in the ass because I would.

Perrie cleared her throat. She slid to Mitch's left side and wrapped her arm around his waist. She pulled him close to her, cuddling up to him so that he was forced to put his arm around her or else it would have been awkward. Mitch didn't once look at her. His face was blank.

I watched the two of them, Mitch with scrutiny. I wanted to see some sort of emotion on his face. Just one sign that he actually gave a shit about Perrie. Most of the time—well, of the short time that I'd seen them together—it looked like he was being forced to deal with her. I wondered then if he was stringing her along. Perhaps he was only using her and she couldn't see it.

Honestly, she was probably too sweet to even think that her boyfriend was a douchebag.

"What is it, Ian?" Perrie looked as if she was going to reach across the small space between us and—

I don't know what she might have done. Maybe she would have touched my arm, took my hand into hers, or maybe wrap her arm around my waist like she was doing to Mitch. All of those things might have happened in an alternate universe. Maybe if I was a little more like Mitch then I might have a chance. I should try being more of an asshole.

I snorted.

Kiley clapped, disrupting the increasingly loud talking.

"Shots everyone!" She held up her own glass with a devious smirk on her face. It stretched over her lips which she tried to cover up with the rim of her glass.

Someone whooped as she downed her drink. Everyone followed shortly after her. Mitch refilled my glass without a word with Perrie hanging off of his arm. I avoided both of their eyes as I threw the drink back. It was so much easier to get it down than the first one had been. The way it burned my chest felt too good and I didn't like the idea of getting hooked on the feeling.