Chapter 3

For a long moment, I stared down at the almost completely empty page

For a long moment, I stared down at the almost completely empty page. Two words. That was it. There wasn't even an explanation why he was apologizing or what he was apologizing for.

It felt as if it meant nothing. To me, it really didn't. The ache in my chest spread to my stomach and my head. Nothing felt right. It all felt like it was a sick twisted game. And I was the target at the center of it.

I crumbled the paper in my hand. I tossed it aside.

Saya grabbed it and tried to smooth it out. She set it on the coffee table.

"Go lie down," I told her, not really caring if she did what I told or not. I was tired. There was too much to do, too much to think about, and I didn't even know where to begin.

But I thought it was best that I kept my anger to a minimum.

As much as I could try to at least.

She did end up crashing on the couch, turning on the TV and watching some random western that was playing. I faintly listened to the plot as I went back to cooking. My hands were moving on their own and I didn't have to think about what I was doing. Which was a good thing because I knew I wouldn't be thinking about making spagetti.

I would be thinking about finding that guy and ripping his limbs from his body.

When everything was done and I'd washed the dishes, I didn't feel like eating. I handed Saya her plate and sat down with her. As she ate away, I merely picked at the already small serving I'd served to myself.

The taste was off. I couldn't tell if it was the dish itself or if it was me.

But it was probably me.

"I'm going out."

"Where are you going?"

It was the most coherent I'd heard her this night.

I pushed the full plate onto the kitchen counter. I'd deal with that later.

"Just out."

I walked back to the living room to find my jacket. I was pulling it on when I felt her behind me. I turned to look at her.

Her face was pulled into a grimace. Her eyes were almost downturned and she almost looked like she was going to cave in on herself.

"Be careful."

The words were nice.

I gave a nod.

My keys were clenched in my hand as I went out the door.

I shouldn't leave her by herself, but I couldn't force her to do anything.

But I still stared at the closed door. I couldn't move my legs for a long time.

My eyes became unfocused for how long I was staring at one spot for so long. When I finally pulled my gaze away, there were unshed tears in my eyes. I wouldn't really say they were tears though. There was no emotions behind them.