Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I took my normal route to school. However, it was anything but normal.

Standing in my way was Mitch. He stood at the end of the block, leaning against the corner of the building. He looked right at me. I was frozen there, not at all expecting him, but it was too late to turn as if I hadn't seen him in the first place.

"Shit," I muttered under my breath. I shoved my hands into the pockets of my jacket and kept going the direction I intended.

When I got to the corner, I slowed.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. I kept my gaze on the street. The sun was slowly rising behind the tall buildings.

"Checking on you," he said. He didn't move.

I shivered in the growing cold. "Sounds creepy."

He snorted. "I actually walked Perrie. You know, since there's a killer on the loose."

I nodded. That was sensible and...nice of him. Something a good boyfriend would do. However, I felt anything but happy about how he was filling his role. Perrie's kiss might have been to tease me and wrong, but I still didn't like that she was dating Mitch. He didn't even like her half the time. They weren't right for each other.

"That's a good idea," I said, walking around him. As much as I still didn't like him, I wasn't going to rub it in his face that Perrie had kissed me. I wanted to get away from him as soon as possible. Before he decided that he wanted to teach me a lesson about keeping boundaries.

However, his outstretched arm blocked me from taking another step. I don't know how he moved so fast, but just as I blinked, his arm was in front of me.

I gave him a quizzical look.

His stance was no longer relaxed. His jaw was clenched and his eyes were hardened like stone.

"I should walk with you, too. It's the smart thing to do, right?" He raised his brows as if to dare me to argue.

I cleared my throat, averting my eyes. "If you want."

My heart was beating in my ears as his arm slowly lowered. He waited for me to continue walking and it took me a good moment to get my feet to listen. I kept my eyes forward though I wanted so badly to glance at him, to know what he was thinking.

His gaze was on me. I could feel it, burning into the side of my face and the side of my neck. This was so much worse than when we'd been stuck in the closet together. I didn't have the darkness to shield me. And I couldn't help but wonder what he saw.

What did he think about me? What did he feel?

Even if those questions were strange to ask, those were the ones that kept my mind busy as I walked to school. I usually took my time as I wasn't ever in a rush to be in a building with a bunch of annoying fucks. But this time, my feet were kickstarted with energy after they woke up from shocked numbness. I had to force myself to slow down sometimes.

Mitch kept up with me easily. He was relaxed, composed, but still his face was stony. He looked as if he was ready for a strike. Like the killer was on this block or he was waiting for both of us at the school.

I took the chance to look at him. His gaze met mine and held. The breath was stolen out of my chest. I didn't have to imagine hard to remember the touch of his hands on my body. Flutters bloomed in my stomach. Along with it came fear. The wolf spider in Perrie's hand and her kiss. Those crashed with Mitch's beautiful face looking at me.

His gaze broke, his eyes shifting to behind me.

He grabbed me by the back of my shirt and yanked me back against his chest.