Chapter 67.

A friend of mine, ellieunknownx, has recently started her first book and it would mean a lot if you checked it out!!' I promise you won't regret it :)

It's funny how when you finally think you're getting over some event in your life, something happens that triggers the memory.

It's an ordinary summer day, the sun is hot on my skin as I lay out on the sand, listening to the lake in the background and noises of children. Tammy and Hailey lay on either side of me, all of us relaxing on the second week of summer vacation.

That's until a volleyball ends up landing right beside my body almost hitting Tammy in the process. I would laugh at the expression on her face if it weren't for the fact that I'm equally as stunned and slightly angry.

That ends up washing away when I squint up to where Tyrese stands with a smug smile. Curse him.

"I really hope you meant to miss my body by an inch," I say snootily, my glare fixated on him.

He chuckles, completely unfazed by the death stare I'm giving him. Not a good time. "Sorry, but the guys want you to come play. I think they like you a little more than they should."

This makes my face heat up.

"Is that so?" I question, standing up so I'm no longer blinding myself.

"Yeah," he nods, his smile teasing. "And maybe...just maybe I want you to play too."

I giggle while shaking my head. "Okay, I'll play, but you have to buy me an ice cream cone afterwards."

He purses his lips with a playful glint in his eyes. "Alright, I can do that, Duffy."

Oddly enough, my thoughts transfer back to the memory of Gavin calling me by my last name before we started our one on one match. It seems so long ago that that happened, and something I wish I wouldn't be thinking about right now. That doesn't stop the memory from playing on repeat.

"You ready to lose, Duffy?" Gavin challenged while dribbling the ball.

"No, the question is, are you ready to lose, Johnson?" I smirked before swiping the ball away from him.

"Bella?" Luckily, Tyrese's voice snaps me out of the taunting images. I need to stop thinking about him, and the events that started this whole thing.

If only I wouldn't've agreed to that stupid basketball game. I wouldn't have been associated with him in anyway, much less having gone on a date with him.

Do you really want that, though? Never having had all those experiences?

I shake my head, evidently putting Tyrese in a state of even more confusion. "That's not a deal?"

"Oh, no," I giggle, feeling stupid for zoning out so easily. "It's a deal. And be prepared to buy me dinner, too, after I've successfully kicked your ass."

"Such a competitive little thing you are," he laughs, but nods. "It's a deal, though, because I know you won't be doing anything of the sort."

•••

Oh how wrong Tyrese was. He obviously underestimated my amazing skills in the art of Volleyball. Let's just say, I demolished him and his little team. Couldn't lay a point on me, if I may say so.

"Look whose buying me dinner!" I laugh, pointing at Tyrese who playfully scowls from the other side of the net. His friends all laugh at him, even the ones that were on his team and lost as well. What can I say? I also think it's pretty damn hilarious.