Chapter 74.

Can we meet?

Three words, yet they hold so much meaning to them. I had contemplated whether I should ignore the message when I had revived it earlier this morning, or simply delete it. I didn't choose either of those options.

Richard is the only Johnson brother that I could possibly get through to, Gavin is too stubborn. He's stuck in the past, and that's fine, but it doesn't mean I won't try to change it.

Maybe that was the reason I chose as I got in my car. The car that I received from my mom and brother a week before my seventeenth birthday. I was never more grateful for my own use of transportation than this time.

The directions Richard had sent me were ones that I was not familiar with. The Bean was the name, a small cafe from what it had said online, but also one I've never heard of. Not that it really matters, I'm going to talk, not drink coffee. Technically.

Pulling into the parking lot of the cafe, I looked down at my phone, turning it off soon after so I won't have to deal with Gavin's texts and calls. I told him I was going out, not with who or where and I don't plan to. If my boyfriend got mad at me for going to see Nick Curtis, he's going to be enraged if he finds out I'm here with his brother.

So, instead of dealing with that battle I'm sure I will not win, I'm keeping my whereabouts from him. I'll eventually tell him - I think - but he has to be calm and in a good mood before I do. Seduction is what I'm thinking.

Unfortunately, I don't have time to think about ways to make sure my boyfriend doesn't kill his brother because I was supposed to be here at two-thirty and it's five minutes later. That's what happens when you call a victim to meet her suspect.

I wipe my hands on my jean capris, before finally opening the door to the cooled cafe. It's been getting hotter every day so this is a nice change. Cool air always sets my nerves at ease for a bit.

"Bella?" I look to wear Richard had called my name, his table right by one of the huge windows. I offer a small smile before walking over to where he is. Nothing sits in front of him, so I won't bother grabbing myself something to drink. "Hey."

There's an airiness to his voice that shows even he is nervous. I feel slightly more clam after this. "Hi."

I play with my hands underneath the table, waiting for Richard to speak up. He is the one who invited me here in the first place. I know he wants to talk, maybe about the bet, but there's nothing he can tell me that I don't already know. At least I hope.

"How have you been?" Small talk, got it.

"I've been good," I nod, rolling my lips into my mouth. "How about you?"

His eyes avert from my face. "I've been - okay."

I nod again, looking away. This is even more awkward than I had thought it would be and I'm starting to wonder why. This is the guy that was my math tutor for months and semi fling. This guy was my first kiss and my friend. This just goes to show that the decisions of one really do mess with a relationship and how you see the other person.

"I hadn't expected to see you back here," Richard suddenly speaks, his eyes back on my face. I shift in my seat.

"I'm sure no one did besides my family and friends," I correct with somewhat of an edge to my voice. Is wasn't intended, but the way Richard flinches at the word 'friends' makes me feel worse.

"I messed up," he admits. "I'll gladly give you that, and if I could go back and change the things that happened - I would."

I shake my head, but he stops me by speaking. "I would, the things I did were horrible, and I understand if you'll never forgive me or Gavin for that matter.