18-You Suck

Chapter Eighteen
You Suck

"It's in his eyes," Graeme explained to us.

It was the middle of the night and all three of us - Graeme, Static and I - were huddled around the old and used computer, as Graeme tried to make sense of Slick's capability of manipulation.

"So basically the power just rests in his eyes?" Static queried. "Just like how Skylar's shield rests in her palms, and can only work from her palms?"

Graeme nodded. "That's a good connection. The only difference is that Skylar has a literally force, meanwhile Slick can't project any type of radiation, although he can project rays, meaning that he can only manipulate someone if they're looking him in the eyes."

I scooted closer to the computer. "So would there be any way to block those rays?"

Graeme shrugged and pushed a strand of curly hair behind his ear. "It's hard to say what would be affective and what wouldn't. I'm thinking that maybe if you were to wear polarized glasses then it could either lessen the effect he has on you, or a ray could pass straight through the lens."

For a moment, there was a defining silence. It almost felt like we all wanted to say the right thing, but we had no idea what it was. My mind was blank, and my thoughts were heavy with sleep.

Honestly, all I wanted was a break. Everything that I had been through the past few months was incredibly action packed, and it was mentally and emotionally draining. I didn't know if could deal with any of it anymore, or if I even wanted to.

But I have to, I reminded myself. Or else there would be one less Super to help keep the city safe, and that was my job as a superhero, whether the city liked me or not.

"I'm going to try something," Graeme muttered, and typed something into the computer before turning his attention back to me. "Skylar, have you been playing around with your Force lately? Getting comfortable with it? Grasping the concept?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "I've only ever used it around you or Static. I haven't been practicing at home, should I be?"

Graeme bit his lip and caught himself in a hesitant nod, as he looked down at the ground in thought. "I would think it's safe to say that the more you practice, the better you get at controlling it, it seems only logical that practicing will be affective. So yes, I would advise you to practice when you can."

Graeme resumed typing at the keyboard, and clicked open a folder.

"I've been documenting everything we've been doing if it hasn't been recorded before, and at the same time i'm still going through my parents' files so there might always be new information."

"So what have you recorded?" Static asked, leaning closer to the screen.

"Like I said, I've recorded what we're trying with Skylar," He nodded to me, "and I'm still trying to make my own discoveries."

We all watched as he scrolled down through different documents. "There are all sorts of discoveries and mixes made by my parents, all which had been documented here."

This time he spun around in the chair to face away from the computer and stood up.

He pointed a finger at me, "now, you need to practice getting used to your shield," he pointed to Static, "you need to help her." He pointed to himself, "while I try and do something, which I will get back to you two about when I can."

Static didn't look very pleased at the fact that he had to follow Graeme's orders, but Graeme was already walking around the room in search for something else.