1 - lips on me

Let's get this cleared up. I hate my birth name. 

It's pretentious. Hard to pronounce - at least, that's what all the kids at my kindergarten thought when I introduced myself. So that's why I created my nickname - Amy!

My mum never really liked that name though. It's so boring. Three letters, mi amor, let me call you Tess.

My friends call me Amy. My family call me Tess.

"For the billionth time! I'm probably not gonna get the main part!", I exclaim, while wrapping a piece of my brunette hair around a curling iron.

"Amy, for the billion and first time, you probably are! You're like the best actress there is!"

Clair practically shrieks. Clair is my best friend. She has been ever since middle school. As you can see, she is a bit enthusiastic at times - especially when I doubt myself.

We were discussing whether I'd get the lead for our school's play. It was a joint play between two schools - the one they do every year. It's between Pembridge (girl's school that I go to) and Essendon (boy's school). No surprise that most of the students who audition are either

a) the theatre kids

b) the ones looking for a boyfriend - or girlfriend. Being at an all-girls school - obviously there's limited talk with boys. 

Oh. And...

c) me

I don't really fit into the categories above. I wouldn't consider myself a theatre kid at all. Sure, I know all the lyrics to the Hamilton, Beetlejuice, Suddenly Seymour soundtrack but it stops just about there. 

And option 2? Count me out. Here's my logic. There's absolutely no way that there's a guy who's all: 

a) sane

b) cute

c) not a player

d) not a theatre kid

who would audition. So, what's the point. 

Now let's get into the real reason I auditioned - Clair. Don't ask me how - or why - because frankly, I can barely put it together but when announcing the play, Clair somehow created this bet. 

A quid pro quo, if you will.  An IOU.

Basically, I audition for this play and she owes me a favour - anytime, anywhere. 

Currently, we were getting ready to go to a party. Clair's cousin's best friend - whoever that is. 

And big shocker! This is the first party I'm going to that has boys at it. 

Now, I don't want you to think I'm obsessed with boys - I'm not. It's just, somehow, society has managed to create such duality between boys and girls - and I'm sick of it.

"Thanks, but I don't think so", I reply back to Clair, putting the curling iron down, "I'm done!". 

"Finally! Can we leave now?" 

------------

Let me set the scene for you. It's been about two hours since we've arrived at this party. Clair and I talked to friends. Ate chips. Drank soda. And now, I've lost Clair. 

I squeeze through the crowds of people trying not to think about the sweaty bodies I'm brushing against. 

Okay, Tess, this is a good learning opportunity! First rule of your future potential house party? Host it at a house big enough. Or, better yet, invite an appropriate amount of people to accomodate the area. 

The music was so loud, I could feel it thumping in my heart and lights flashed around lighting up incoherent faces around me. I squint my eyes as the bright lights begin to irritate my eyes. 

One beam of light flashes on the face of this boy who was walking towards me. 

More like stumbling towards me. 

He was carrying a cup, probably filled with beer. As another beam of light lit up his face, I almost gasped at how hot he was. 

"Hey honey", he slurs, flashing a sleazy grin. I take that back. Not hot - drunk. You can't be both hot and drunk at the same time, that's a fact. 

"Weirdo", I mutter, ignoring and looking past him in search for Clair.

"Who you calling a weirdo?", he asks, furrowing his brow slightly. Whoops, didn't think he'd hear that. How did he...?

"You", I say in 'duh' tone, trying to get past him but he was blocking the way with his body.

"Well", he says dumbfounded, "I'm not"

"Okay, now bye!", I exclaim, trying to squeeze passed him and other people next to me. Second good learning opportunity: never try arguing with a drunk person.

"I'm not a wei- wait what did you say?", he pushes me forward with his free hand.

"I said bye. Also known as Au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen-"

"Before that"

"I said okay?", I repeat, with a confused face on me. 

"Okay?", he repeats. He wasn't looking at me in the eye... He was looking a little lower than that. Around my neck and lower. Ugh! He is such a perv!

"Is there a point to this conversation", I question, putting one hand on my hip and focusing on how his face structure looked. How is it possible to have both a defined jawline and cheekbones?

The next I knew were that his lips were on mine.