14 - jasper

Here's what I think. 

Blake's an actor, right? So, all these sudden personality mood swings. 

From bad-boy persona at school to the playful golden retriever in the canteen to the cocky asshole at the party.

They could technically be just character roles he's fulfilling in the moment. 

Which begs the question - which one is the real Blake? 

I mentally start my very own murder board. You know, the ones with red string connecting different situations and pictures? But instead of murders and suspects, it's Blake and personalities - or should I say, characters? Before I could go all detective and examine each and every time I've seen Blake to a specific personality -  the doorbell rang. 

"Honey, could you get the door?", my mum calls from the kitchen. 

"This is child labour!", I yell back at her jokingly, rolling off my bed lazily and walking downstairs.

Yes, my mum was closer to the front-door than I was. 

Child labour. 

"Try being in labour with child!", she yells back.

It's not that I'm saying Blake has multiple personalities or anything. It's just so interesting that he tries so hard to keep up this outward facade of arrogancy when sometimes, he's clearly just a playful guy. 

Or a player guy

Technically, I've only ever seen him act like that in front of me so what if it's just a way of getting my attention?

Mid-thought, I open the front door and internally gasp. 

Blake.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear. 

Overnight, I decided that I should forgive him for the kiss at the party. Or at least, compartmentalise it for a few months until we're done with the play. If we're going to be working together, it'd be easier if I don't hate him entirely. Plus, and I know this doesn't excuse all of his behaviour but he was pretty drunk that day. 

Now Blake was standing outside my door.

"Hey", he gives a half smile, as if he was worried I was going to snap at him any second. 

"Why are you here?", I ask, quickly closing the door to the point where there now only a small gap for us to talk to. 

"I'm just-"

"Who is it?", my mum interrupts as she calls from the kitchen. I close my eyes and mentally groan as I hear her walking towards the door, her footsteps getting louder. 

This can't be happening. 

I've been trying so very hard to keep my involvement in the play secret from my mum. For a couple reasons: 

a) knowing her, she'd invite all our extended family, friends, acquaintances - everyone

b) I just know that I'll get all shy on stage. What if I mess up? And that one aunt who drove down from Albany will forever have that memory of poor little Tessie who choked up on stage.