Chapter 22

Austin and I eventually left the bedroom. Key word, eventually. Sam came and knocked on the door, to alert us that mom was home. So we splashed our faces with water, and went down to see her. We had been in my room for just over an hour, making out, and talking occasionally. But not once did we address the elephant in the room: What will become of us?

Now, as it turns out, as I heard Sam explain it to mom, Sam had, indeed, invite Austin over, for the weekend, to give me the closure. It turns out that Jane had suggested it. Clearly it kind of back fired, but whatever. Mom was happy to see Austin again, though. She always treated Austin like family, like a son. Some people also thought Austin and I were brother and sister at first, because of how mom used to fuss over the two of us when we were in our diaper days. Yes, we have known each other for that long. So, that's kind of why he had been a big part of my life. This brings us up to date.

Now we were eating together, the four of us. Austin managed to convince mom to let him cook tonight. We had chicken kievs with mashed potatoes and gravy, and loads of veggies. It tasted good. Mom decided to break our comfortable silence.

"So, Sarah, what happened to you two? Were you caught up in a punch on together?" Mom asked.

"No mom, we weren't. These happen to be from separate people, at separate points of the party. This," I said, gesturing to my bruise. "Is from Alyssa Scott. His is from Mark Johns." I said.

Mom frowned. "What was that bitch doing here?" Mom asked. Oh, and yes, mom did just call her a bitch.

"My guess is Brad invited her. She was at the country club too, where it started. She was insulting me, so I slapped her there. And here, she slapped me, then Sam poured my drink over her, and had Ryan and Kane escort her out."

"That's good." Mom said, smiling at Sam across the table. "What type of drink was it?"

"A Shirley Temple I got her. She only got a sip of it, before I ended up spilling it over Alyssa's head." Sam said gleefully.

"So, Austin. Mark always seems to be a good young man, so why did he hit you?" Mom asked.

"Oh, it goes back a bit. He came to our home town one spring break, and there was... an issue between us. But now is not the time to bring up the past." Austin said, and I noticed some sadness flittering in his eyes, but it quickly disappeared. "Now, compliments to the chef." We all laughed, as mom had begun cooking, and Austin helped out. Really, he took over the making of our food.

"Sure, Austin. You can explain another day." Mom said, smiling politely. "It is really great to see you again, Aus. So, what brings you here?"

"Well, I believe Sam had explained it to you already, Margret, but I will say anyway. Sam invited me here, so that Sarah could have her closer. Though it seems his plan back fired a little." Austin said with a smirk. I kicked him in the leg from under the table, and his face was hilarious as he tried to hold in a grunt of pain. I would have laughed, if it weren't for the situation. Mom is going to want to know what Austin meant by that remark.

"What to do you mean, 'back fired'?" I knew it, I just knew mom would ask.

Austin's face went red, as did Sam's. And I bet you, mine was the deepest shade of red. Mom noticed. She glanced at each of our faces, then glared at each of us, then went from me, to Austin, over and over again. I knew for sure we were in big trouble now. Me? Have a boyfriend? As if.

"Mom, I can explain..." I started. But then mom did something unexpected. She waggled her eyebrows, as her eyes went from Austin to me.

"No need to explain, darling. I was your age once, remember? Sure, it was decades ago, and things do change, but I was. It is clear in how you reacted." Mom said, finally settling her eyes on me. "What I don't get is him." Her full gaze turned to Sam, parallel to her.