Chapter 28

"So, word on the street is that you, Sarah Watson, have signed up for the track team." Eliza looked at me with shock written all over her face.

"I technically didn't sign up for track team, Sam signed me up to it." I mutter, rolling my eyes as I remembered this morning's events.

"Good morning, Coach." Sam said with a dazzling smile on his face.

"What can I do for you, Sam?" She replies with.

"Oh, I was wondering if there was room for my step-daughter Sarah, on the track team...?" He asked the coach.

"Well, really, we shouldn't be taking on more members this close to a meet. However, considering it's you, Sam, one of our past stars, I don't see why I can't slot her into the team. But she won't be able to make it to the next meet." She explained.

"Thanks Coach Scott, I owe you big time."

"Sam, she can only join if she passes the examination though, an audition of sorts."

"That's fine with me, Coach. I will see you round." Sam waved her off, as he came to where I was standing, a meter away, by the bleachers.

"Really, Sam, do I not get a say?" I ask, rather annoyed at him. His face made it even worse, as he held a cheeky grin. "You do realise I have no previous record of school sports."

"That's not entirely true, Sarah, and we both know that. I know for a fact you were a member of your middle school gymnastics team. I've seen the trophies." Sam just smirked at me, as he started to take off.

"SAM! You realise how different gymnastics is from track? UGH!"

"Sarah, I really do not believe you will actually join." Eliza said, as she opened her salad.

"Well, it's not really my choice, Eliza. Sam said that if I don't give it a go, then he will be very disappointed in me. He told me it will be incorporated into my regime." I explained, poking around at my own salad.

"Regime? You mean the one that's supposed to help you mental health?" I nodded at her answer. "Hmmm, if that's the case, I don't see why you shouldn't give it a try. You never know, you might enjoy it." Eliza laughed. I bumped her shoulder with mine. "HEY! You made me drop my tomato."

"You're welcome, Eliza." I poked my tongue out at her.

While Eliza and I continued to act like children, someone sat at the table, opposite to us. I look up, and it is certainly not someone I had expected.

"Brad?" I ask, my jaw dropping. We haven't spoken in school before, except on Thursday and Friday, when Sam picked us both up. Today is Wednesday, and I don't think there is a reason for him to be talking to me, that is until...

"You're joining track?" Brad exclaims, his jaw almost touching the table.

"Well, yeah. I still have to pass the physical assessment."

"Why are you suddenly partaking in school sports? I don't think I've even seen you at a game before." He seems so amazed that I, Sarah Watson-(soon to be) Williams, the queen of the outcasts, is joining a sports team, of all teams.

"Well, Brad, for you own information, I didn't really get much of a say in the matter. Besides, like I just said, I still need to show I'm worth it." I turned my gaze from his incriminating gaze, to my salad.

"What do you mean by that? Of course you get..." I stop him by placing my hand up, with one finger extended only, to shush him.

Without even look up, I say in the clearest voice I could muster. "I'm sure you are quite aware of the legend that your dear Uncle Sam was, back in his days of track here at Bentley."