Chapter 25

There was something scratchy on my face. I opened my eyes, to be blinded. As my eyes re-adjusted to the light of day, I see one of my curtains are open, and is moving slightly. How could I have left my window open all night? I throw my duvet aside, and sit up.

On my pillow, is a scrunched up bit of paper, which I spot out of the corner of my eye, just before I get up. I pick it up, and unravel it as best I can, without ripping it. It has a series of numbers... Austin slipped the paper into my hand, and said he still wants to hear my voice... it's a phone number, Austin's phone number. I must have still had it in my hand when I fell asleep. I look at what I am wearing. I am wearing exactly what I wore yesterday. The window is open from when I locked Austin in my room yesterday, and he had to make his own way out.

I fall back onto my pillow, a feeling of emptiness filling me. I am stronger than this, I will not be broken due to a guy, all over again. You can still talk to him. Get your act together girl, now. I started to control my breathing. In 2 3 4, hold 2 3 4, out 2 3 4, hold 2 3 4...

I was lying still once I was calm and relaxed. All was fine, all was clear, in my heart and mind.

Vrrriiipp vrrriiipp

I looked at my bedside table, to see my phone screen light up. I rolled over, and unplugged my phone. The screen told me I had four unread text messages, all from Eliza.

Her: Hey girl. I won't be picking you up at your house this morning. So meet me in the library when you get here. :)

Look, Sarah, where are you? School starts in 10, but your not here yet. Plz hurry, this is urgent.

Why are you not in pastoral? When was the last time you missed it?? Sarah, plz reply, I am so confused. First starts soon, so I better see you in the caf at break. JUST PLZ REPLY!

And the latest one I received just then being:

Sarah, where are you? Why have you not responded to any of my messages? I really need to talk to you!

That's when it all clicks. I check the time to confirm it. I slept in this morning. School has well and truly started, and its first break.

"MOM! SAM! ANYONE!" I shout, as I scramble out of bed. By the time I have ambled my way out of my room, Sam has rushed to my bedroom.

"Sarah, what's wrong?" He asks, as he steadies his breath.

"Why was I not woken up for school? It is already first break."

"Ahh, that. Your mom said not to wake you for school today, but I don't know the reasoning. She rang up the school and everything, saying you won't be showing up. Now, can I get back to cooking? I don't want the soup to boil." Sam explained, standing up straight.

I nodded. "Wait, why are you cooking Sam? It's not lunch quite yet."

"Oh, well, I am trying a new diet regime."

"But Sam, you have been on the same one for who knows how long."

"It's not for my benefit, Sarah. Actually, it's for yours. I thought we should try this together, though. I have even ordered some new gym equipment aimed at you."

"What are we trying Sam?"

"A fitness scheme, to keep your mind of stuff, and keep you stress free."

"Did Jane suggest it?"

"Ah, yeah. I have to get to the kitchen now. So you go get ready for some training. I'll have coffee ready for you downstairs." And he walked off.