I Scare My Brother

SUMMER

I sighed, breathing in deeply as I smelt the woods-y scent I remembered from the home I had lived in until I turned eleven. Although I wasn't actually inside the house yet, even the area around it gave out the scent, probably from my mother spraying her stupid perfume everywhere, all the time. Regardless of the time of year, we could always smell Christmas trees, at least I hoped it was still that way.

I was born to two loving parents, at a cold Sunday afternoon, along with me, was my younger brother, kinda stupid, but I loved him nonetheless, our younger years were perfect. Ebony and Peter, we didn't get along perfectly, but what siblings do? Our family tried to be perfect, but as we got older, the fights got louder, and longer.

When Peter and I turned eleven, our parents split, our mom keeping peter in England, and our dad bringing me to France, to live with his sister, my aunt.

And yet, here I was, back at my mum's place for the first time since I was eleven. Five years were long, especially when you stopped owling when you were fourteen years old.

But me, the rational sixteen year old I was, had come crawling back, after an eventful transferral, I wanted to go to Hogwarts. I wanted to be with the Mum and brother I hadn't seen, and I knew Hogwarts was a better school than Beauxbatons, and although I had an entire life there, I wanted to have a future.

An abrupt opening of the front door jolted me out of my thoughts, in the doorway stood a dark haired, extremely tall, guy. A hot guy to be precise. It wasn't Peter, I knew that, unless Peter had suddenly become a metamorphmagus, which, knowing how peter was as a child, probably wasn't what had happened.

"Wormtail! It's a girl!" The attractive guy yelled, into the small home, looking back at me with a bewildered look on his face. "Who /are/ you?" He asked, looking me up and down, not in a flirtatious way, more of a 'who the hell is this chick' kind of way.

Inside the house, I could hear people running, and talking, as well as some crashes, maybe from them tripping over stuff. A second boy joined the first, with a self-righteous grin, and a messy pair of round glasses that he quickly moved back into place on his face. And then, a third boy joined the first two, although this one I recognized. He had the same round chin as I did, and the same brown eyes.

Peter stood in front of me, a glint of recognition passing in his eyes. He wasn't frowning, but he wasn't smiling either, he hadn't moved since he had first seen me, and I mean, if the position were switched, I'd probably be acting the same.

"Hey Pete," I muttered, attempting a smile, which did not work, and they could definitely see the obvious fear in my eyes.

"Who is she?" The boy with glasses muttered, completely lost, I assumed Peter hadn't told his friends about the messed up half of his family. Who would tell their friends about that, after all.

"You'd better come inside." Peter said finally, taking a long exhale, and opening the door wider, gently pushing his two friends inside the house, so I could pass by.

As I travelled down the small hallway of the once familiar house, everything looked different than I remembered. It was less homey, less of a nostalgic feeling. Everything had a place, there was nothing in a place it shouldn't be. It was really, really simple, and they appeared to be living in quite the minimalistic way.

"Mum told me this might be happening eventually, didn't realize it'd be so soon," Peter commented, glancing back at me every so often, almost checking to make sure I wasn't just going to disappear.

He hadn't clued his friends in at this point, so the two of them were kind of following along with the pair of us, like confused puppies, obviously they both wanted to talk, but Peter and I had a history that anyone could tell by simply looking at us. We walked into the sitting room, and another boy was sitting on the couch, reading a book.

"What was it?" He asked, before lifting his eyes from the book, and noticing me. The boy had light brown eyes, almost yellow, and a tired face, not ugly, he was actually rather handsome, but he had sleep lines, and had quite a mature look about him, kind of like the Aurors I saw in France. He seemed to be taking everything about me in, my appearance, my small backpack, he looked as if he was sitting through information to try to figure out who I was.

I finally tore my eyes away from the third boy, and turned back to Peter. "Yeah well, I'm here now," I muttered, frowning, I liked to pretend peter and I were connected, like real siblings, but in reality I knew next to nothing about the boy that stood in front of me. It had been five years since the last time we had talked in person, and almost three since the last time we had communicated.

"Not gonna introduce me to your friends?" I asked, in what I realized after I said it, seemed to be in a challenging tone, which wasn't what I meant, but I couldn't change it after they left my mouth.

Peter stared at me for a moment, wrinkling his nose, as if trying to put together pieces in his mind. "James," He started. Nodding towards the boy with the glasses, who sent a large grin my way, "Sirius," He continued, nodding at the one who opened the door, who hardly gave me any recognition, "And Remus." He finished, nodding towards the one on the sofa, who, despite his hard appearance, sent me a warm smile.

I offered a weak smile, not at any specific person though, my eyes still attempting to remain on Peter.

"Guys, this is my sister, Ebony, some shit happened when we were younger, and our parents split, splitting us as well." Peter's friends looked surprised when he spit out the curse word, I guessed he didn't curse regularly, considering their reaction.

"Ebony Pettigrew, the hot Pettigrew sibling," The dark haired guy-Sirius, commented, a flirtatious grin sending my way. Contrary to what I wanted my reaction to be, being cool, and confident, I could feel my cheeks heating up, though I did manage to slip into a disapproving frown. Peter gave Sirius a friendly elbow to the ribs, Sirius responding with a quiet, "Just joking Wormy,"

I was confused at the Wormy thing, but I just went with it, I guess it was just some weird nickname. "Where am I staying?" I asked Peter, my hands moving to grip the straps of the backpack I was wearing.

"Upstairs to the left," Peter muttered, moving to sit next to Remus on the couch. I nodded and began my way up the stairs, ducking under the short roof, I was beginning to realize this house was a lot smaller than what I had remembered. As I continued my way up I heard talking resuming behind me, as well as a laugh every now and then.

It suddenly dawned on me that the perfect summer I had planned to happen, the one where my brother and I become the perfect pair of twins, and where I actually form a bond with my mother, wasn't really going to happen. They both had their own lives, and I really was just some stranger who had forced her way into the regular system they had. I felt alone, and I felt scared, and I most certainly did not feel at home.