A Clue

It was well into the night when Clarencia announced that dinner was ready. Personally, you wanted to continue reading, but your stomach protested against such an idea. Geela appeared frustrated as well, but that emotion was quickly replaced with happiness at the idea of food. She bounded out of the room, skipping along with her endless amount of energy. Honestly, you couldn't understand how she could seem so mature at times while at others act the complete opposite.

Getting up, you followed her into the dining room and ate dinner with Clarencia and Geela. During the meal of duck, carrots and mashed red potatoes, Clarencia inquired about your progress. You told her that so far nothing had turned up, but that you were hopeful in your new search. There had to be something in one of those books, even if it was the tiniest of details. That one small detail may allow you to discover the meaning of the song. If you really had to venture to these places or if there was some long lost ruler at the end of it all or possibly both.

Frankly, you wanted to ask for Clarencia's insight on the matter, but her visions provided very little. She could only see images of water, clouds and a strange room filled with darkness. None of that helped you. It really only confirmed that some of the places had those things, but not how to actually reach them. Besides, those images only had a chance of being in the possible future. For all you knew, those places mentioned in the song might not actually be places at all.

Having finished your meal, you went back to the library while Clarencia took Geela to bed. It would be another long night. Hopefully though, Geela would be keen on helping you in the morning. You knew that she wanted to aid you now, but the sleep in her eyes was evident and her body seemed to demand rest. At the same time, you desired to have found something by morning. With the brothers returning tomorrow, you would have little time to yourself if at all for the next couple of days.

Sure they may have been cursed due to their parents past actions, but their games were still irritating. You couldn't blame them for the curse, but you at times wished that it didn't exist. When you had this desire though, you wondered how the brothers would act without their obsession for dark entertainment. Personally, you had a hard time imagining it.

Sighing, you sat back down by the table and continued searching through the books. Time ticked away while the chandeliers in the room were now on. The windows were closed and the breeze gone. You wanted it this way, since wind in the evening was rather cold.

Your left hand turned the pages lazily, as the time reached near midnight. Eyelids closing every now and then, you turned your gaze over to the window to view the night sky. Stars shone brightly while gentle clouds rolled by. It was a relaxing scene and had the effect of making you even more tired. Yawning quietly, you went back to your task. Eventually though, you fell asleep on one of the books. It was still open and made a lovely cushion for your head, though not as comfortable as the pillows in your bedroom.

                                                                               ~~~~~~~~~~

Morning shafts of light came through the library window, causing your eyes to flicker open. You glanced around, rubbing your eyes of the sleep. Finding yourself still in the library, you sighed lightly and combed your right fingers through your hair before glancing at the page you fell asleep on. Your (e/c) eyes looked it over and at last something caught your eye. At first it seemed useless information, though after closer inspection it proved beyond helpful. Apparently, Fade's mentor's grandmother was friends with Diamond and Heart's grandmother. The weird thing was that Diamond and Heart's grandmother supposedly just left the throne to her daughter, telling only the Queen of Spades of that time about her departure. No one could find her after she announced her leave; she vanished from the world, leaving the amulet with her friend. Did she not like her daughter and husband, so much so that she gave the amulet to her friend instead? Moreover, why didn't she tell her family about her leave?

Furthermore, why did she have the amulet in the first place? Where did she get it and where did she go to? You could only assume that she figured out the meaning of the amulet, but why leave it behind? Maybe she wrote everything down and figured that was enough. Likewise, if she could never be found in the world, was she part ace like you? What didn't make sense though, was how her daughter could take over her role. The current queen had to die for that to happen.

Reading further down the page, you discovered that the Queen of Spades at that time had recounted the events that occurred after her friend's disappearance. Everyone at that time thought it odd, since there was no way for Yussia, Heart and Diamond's mother, to inherit the title without the death of her mother. With her mother having disappeared, she was left in an awkward position. It wasn't until a few months later that a queen's weapon appeared in Yussia's hands. According to what was written in the book, everyone believed Yussia's mother to be dead. Did she reach the end of her goal before death or die on her way to claim the throne at the end of the song? There were so many questions, but maybe Clarencia could be of help this time.

You were about to get up, but hands around your shoulders distracted you. Feeling this contact, you nearly jumped before reaching for your daggers. It wasn't hard to tell that it wasn't Geela behind you. The weight of the person's arms was too heavy for Geela. Moreover, their arms were too long for her. After a quick realization of who was arriving this morning, you moved your hands away from the blades. They were back and there was no doubt that Clarencia told them where you were.

"Did you miss us, my dear lady?" questioned that all too familiar voice of Heart.

"Please, I was hoping you would be gone longer," you responded, pushing his arms off of you before getting up with the book in your left hand.

"You're so cruel, my dear lady. We were worried sick about you while we attended to matters back in our territory," he replied, making dramatic motions with his hands as if to emphasize his point.

Rolling your eyes, you glanced at Heart before looking over at Diamond, who stood by the doorway. It wasn't hard to notice that they had purchased new attire and accessories. Diamond had a new piercing in his left ear, wearing a red ruby diamond-shaped post in each of his ears now. His red hair with yellow and pink highlights now was long enough to be tied into a short side ponytail. This ponytail was held together by a red ribbon. A black tailcoat with gold diamond-shaped buttons covered a grey button-up. Red pants went over his legs while black lace-up knee-high boots protected his feet. The broken pocket watch that he had when you first met him rested in his right tailcoat pocket while his long fingernails were painted crimson and gold.

Heart on the other hand wore a white button-up with a dark blue vest over it. The vest had dark blue sapphire buttons while a black tie was tied around the collar of the shirt. Black pants went over his legs and blue knee-high boots hid his feet. He wore several silver chain belts around his hips and wore a blue sapphire post in his left ear. As for his blue hair with green highlights, it wasn't as long as Diamond's, but now hung loosely around his face. Both brothers had their sabers attached to the left side of their pants and their face paint was currently on.

"Well your worry was unnecessary and you know it. Now I need to go talk to Clarencia. I believe I found something that may give me more information about the amulet," you stated, walking past the blue-haired male and trying to not look him in the eye.

Both looked charming in their new attire and their longer hair suited them well. You were having a hard time controlling the blush that was attempting to sneak up on your cheeks. Keeping your gaze downward, you did your best to avoid Diamond's stare, but he stopped you. Securing his left hand around your right wrist, he pulled you closer to him.

"Not so fast, Miss ____. We brought you back a little present and we'd like to hear about this discovery as well, so we'll come with you. We've been gone from you for too long."

Eyeing him suspiciously, you saw him bring out something from behind his back. It sparkled in the morning light and dread washed over you once you realized what it was. They had brought that awful necklace with them. Gold, silver, sapphires and rubies intertwined with each other to form the choker, though it felt more like a collar than anything else. Rather than wasting your energy on arguing, you permitted him to put it around your neck. When it was clasped at the back of your neck, you knew that it looked out of place with your black v-neck and black lounge pants.

Diamond, having placed the necklace around your neck, took a few steps and allowed you through the opening into the hall. You only took a few steps into the hall before you heard the brothers following you. At the moment though, you wanted to rip the piece of jewelry from your neck, but if you did so you would find yourself in a horrid position.

"By the way there's no reason to hide your blush from us, Miss _____."

"Yes, we chose these outfits to impress you after all, my dear lady."

Hearing this, you walked down the hall quicker, frustrated that you hadn't hid your blush as well as you thought you had. It went to a darker shade when the brothers linked their arms with you. Heart was on your left and Diamond on your right. They kept in pace with you, not allowing you to get away.

"Try not to ignore us, we've missed you dearly," they said in unison, their voices barely above a whisper.