Water before the Island

As her arm and hand returned to her side, she continued, "Captain Nichola Sangroft at your service."

Holding out her right hand in greeting, you stepped forward a bit and grasped her hand with your right one while introducing the brothers and you. The moment you made contact, she gripped your hand hard and gave it a firm shake. Frankly, it felt more like she was trying to rip off your hand than anything else. After she released her hold on you, she went over to stand in front of the brothers.

Both barely had to look down due to the difference between their heights, since Nichola was only about an inch shorter than them. Her wide orange eyes with their vertical slit pupils analyzed the two twins, as she rested her left hand on the hilt of her cutlass while her right hand took a position on her right hip. During this inspection, you looked over at Iris to ask if the Captain did this frequently. She rubbed the back of her neck with her left hand and mentioned that it was only with the men. While a mental sweat-drop formed, you glanced back over at the Captain and the brothers.

The twins' were unreadable, but Heart's was slowly morphing into one of confusion. As for Captain Nichola, she still carried a firm countenance while inspecting the two. After what felt like too long a time, a smile etched itself across her lips before she glanced over at you.

"Say, _____, are both these yours?"

Completely caught off guard by such a question, you found yourself getting tongue tied before managing to answer, "Yes, I travel with them."

"Would you mind if I took one then?" she questioned, as though that was a common inquiry to make.

Before you could even respond, both brothers stated, "We only follow our dear, Miss _____."

When that statement left their lips, Captain Nichola glanced between the three of you before a wide grin spread on her features. Soon, a loud laugh followed afterwards until she walked back to you. Without any warning, she brought her left hand up and clapped you on the back hard. This sent you forward a few steps, but you maintained your balance. Looking over your left shoulder at her, you noticed that she kept up her grin.

"You're not too bad, ______. Snaring two in that look that attractive isn't an easy feat. You'll have to share your secret with me."

Trying to wrap your mind around what she just said, you stuttered a bit before your cheeks started growing in color. No doubt, both brothers heard her as well. Not daring to look over in their direction, you glanced over at Iris, who was chuckling quietly at this whole exchange. Personally, you were just wondering how Captain Nichola could just say such things out loud without the slightest hint of embarrassment.

Closing the distance between you two once more, she rested her left hand on your right shoulder and whispered, "Don't worry, I've already got a whole crew of men following my command. So you still have quite a bit of work to do, ______."

Leaving you even more embarrassed, she walked onto the quarterdeck and rested her hands on the wheel. Frankly, you weren't considering commanding an entire ship. Moreover, you really didn't want to think about the implication behind her message. Rubbing the bridge of your nose with your right index finger and thumb, you looked over at Heart and Diamond. Picturing more individuals like those two, made your head hurt.

"Alright, everyone we're leaving for the island now. Get to the positions I ordered you to this morning. I don't want to see any delays," Captain Nichola exclaimed from her position.

Within the next few seconds, you saw crew members running around while the man you met earlier, Daren, ran aboard before lifting the plank, which connected the ship to the dock, up. He set it horizontally against the ship's interior wall before helping other crew members. You did in fact notice that a majority were men, but there were a few women as well.

After a few members lifted the anchor out of the water, you could feel the ship moving. As it began sailing towards the island, you moved over to the left side of the ship and rested your arms on the wooden railing. Concerning Iris, she went over to talk to Daren, who occasionally cast that same sorrow filled look your way. Deciding that you would ignore it, you turned your attention back to the water around the ship. Granted, you did wish that you could hear their conversation, but you just assumed that Iris was catching up with a friend of hers. At least you assumed that was the case between the two. It seemed that Iris knew both Daren and the Captain quite well, which made sense, since she probably had to make the trip across the ocean frequently.

Keeping that in mind, you focused on watching the waves roll by. It was calming, and the ocean breeze, which gently blew your (h/c) locks, only added to that effect. Sadly, it wasn't long before the two brothers positioned themselves next to you. Heart was on your left while Diamond was on your right.

"What do you two want?" you asked in a slightly annoyed tone of voice.

"Hmm, we just wish to enjoy the ocean view with you, my dear lady. Besides, like the Captain mentioned, you snared us in, so we're not going anywhere."

"Tch, now you're sounding like your brother," you muttered, though, you meant to keep that comment in your head.

"Hmm, what do you mean? Diamond, when did you say something along those lines?" the blue-haired male inquired while you just wanted to disappear.

"Back at the inn, I reaffirmed our dedication to our little queen. I think it left quite an impact," he responded with his characteristic smile painting his lips.

They both shared a look before they walked some distance away from you. Assuming that Diamond was narrating every detail of the event that occurred between him and you to his brother, you decided to make your towards the quarterdeck. Unfortunately, the brothers had other plans. Heart grabbed your left arm while Diamond pulled on your right. Sighing, you reluctantly glanced between the two of them. Having a bad feeling about the expressions on their faces, you went to wrench your arms out of their hold, but they refused to let you go.

"My dear lady, whose kiss did you enjoy more?"

"What?! I'm not answering that question," you voiced, as your desire to get away from them increased.

"Then did you like both equally, Miss _____?"

"I'm not answering that either. Now, why don't you two let me go and argue among yourselves?"

"Perhaps, she did like them equally, brother. Maybe we should play a game, and the winner gets to kiss her again. What do you think?" Heart questioned, as his fingers continued to hold onto your upper arm.

"Hmm, that will work splendidly. Shall we play a simple matching game?" Diamond suggested, his grip increasing just a little bit on your arm.

"I'm not agreeing to this in the slightest," you stated, glancing between the two.

"Well, you're not playing with us, my dear lady. You'll simply be the judge, making sure that neither of us cheats," Heart replied, looking at you like this was an obvious detail.

Neither allowed you the chance to disagree, as they went over to one of the vacant spots on the deck and sat down. They forced you to sit in the middle before Heart summoned a deck of matching cards to his hands. He began shuffling them while Diamond made sure that you didn't leave your position. His watchful gaze was slightly unnerving, and you knew that he would be ready to pull you back down within a moment's notice. Thus, you mumbled a few incoherent curses at them, as Heart started to set the cards up on the ground.

Once all cards were face-down, Heart signaled for Diamond to start. Obliging his brother's request, the red-haired male flipped two over, however, they didn't match. You found it slightly adorable, though, that the cards were of various sweets. Of course, Heart would have cards with different cakes printed on them. Inwardly smiling at the detail, you continued to watch the two brothers compete against one another. Frankly, though, they were very wrong if they thought they were going to kiss you after the ending of the game.

While they were playing, you were formulating a plan in your head. If you could stall the winner until you reached the island, you could potentially evade them for the rest of the journey by sticking close to Iris. The problem would be the first part of the plan. How on earth, could you stall either of them? Like Diamond pointed out, they were selfish. Thus, you might have to make some deal with them, which might only make matters worse. Granted, you could always utilize wording to your advantage.