Test of Singularity

It had been twenty minutes of the three of you walking down the long hallway. In fact this had been confirmed by Diamond's pocket watch. Personally, though, you were getting tired of going down the hall. So far no there were no traps or monsters, which you were grateful for, but this hallway was getting old. Moreover, it wasn't helping that Heart was pestering you every minute for answers to his questions. Eventually, you knocked some sense into him by essentially yelling at him and telling him to keep quiet. Surprisingly, this tactic worked, but unluckily for you, it would probably backfire in the future.

Luckily, though, the three of you had finally reached the end of the long hallway. Now, you were met by a square stone room with a single statue in the middle. This statue had the appearance of a half-human, half-fox. The head was of the fox while the body was of a man. Once again, robes covered the statue's body. What caught your attention, however, was the fact that the statue had four hands extended outwards. In each hand was a milky white sphere. With the hands pointing in south, north, east and west, you wondered what you would have to do this time.

Taking a few steps into the room, you immediately heard something crash behind you. Quickly, you turned around to find a wall where you had just entered. Despite the fact that you couldn't hear the brothers, you knew they were probably banging on the wall right now and calling out for you. Personally, you wanted to see if you could find a way to open the wall back up, but you knew that this new puzzle was probably the only way.

Wanting to solve this fast, you stepped up to the statue and examined it for any clues. You scanned the bottom, middle and top of the statue, but found no inscriptions to aid you. Even climbing up the statue and checking the top of its head produced nothing. Thus, you found yourself climbing back down the statue, which stood close to seven feet tall.

Keeping this lack of information in mind, you circled the statue to see if there was something you could've missed. Once again, though, you ended up empty handed. Perhaps, there was a secret switch you could activate on the statue. Pursuing this theory, you began to pull on the arms, legs, torso and head. When this didn't work, you ended up having to pad down the statue. Still having a negative result, you stepped back and crossed your arms over your chest.

The only thing you hadn't checked on the statue was the glass spheres, and you refused to pick one of them up. Who knew what would happen if you carelessly lifted one out of the hands? Thus, you decided that you would try and see if anything was inside the orbs. Going up to the one, which pointed towards where the hallway used to be, you stood on your tippy-toes and peered inside. Upon doing so, your eyes widened slightly when you noticed the milky substance begin to form words. They read: choose if you seek glory and fame.

Raising your eyebrow at this, you stood normally once more and wondered if this actually was a puzzle. Reading the phrase inside the sphere made it seem like you were just supposed to choose what best fitted your desire. Granted, three of the orbs could be tricks, and in reality there was only one right answer. Likewise, this could easily be a test for one's character before they entered Jisef. For now, though, reading the other orbs would probably be the best course of action.

Heading over to the arm, left of the one you were just at, you gazed inside. You read: pick if you wish for a perfect dream. Moving onto the next one, you saw inside the glass: do not choose if you desire to pass through this room. Finding that one odd, you went to the last one. This one read: do not pick if you don't look for trouble.

Now, you were really confused. None of these worked for you. You wanted to pass through this room, and you didn't search for danger. Thus, that eliminated two of the possibilities. Furthermore, you didn't want glory or fame. That left the one about the dream. Technically, if you reached Jisef, you would have attained your goal. Presumably, your objective could also mean a dream of yours, but something about the phrasing in that orb seemed odd. Did it mean dream in the sense of an inner desire or in terms of an actual dream you had while sleeping? With this in mind, what you were supposed to choose? Could you potentially choose multiple spheres? Would one sphere cancel out the other?

Frustrated, you began to pace the room, as your gaze occasionally rested on the wall that separated you from the brothers. Were they facing some kind of test on the other side of the wall? Could they be in any danger? What if something had come out of the sand and was now attacking them? Biting your lower lip, you knew that you couldn't focus anymore on them. You would get too worried and become distracted from your current task; you could even end up making a fatal mistake.

Casting your attention back on the statue, you went over the four different phrases. You knew that it wouldn't be the first or second orb you looked at. There wasn't an ounce of you that desired either of those things. This left the other two spheres. Potentially, it could be the last one. By heading to Jisef, you could essentially be seeking out danger, since you had no idea what awaited you there besides a throne and gold.

Still, there was the third sphere. You wanted to leave the room, but would that mean leaving the brothers behind? Furthermore, a new thought had occurred to you. Why couldn't they just transport themselves into the room with you? Was there a shield, similar to Umelius's, around this room? Or was it another type of barrier? Whatever the reason, it was strange. Regardless, you had to think. The brothers were presumably still in the hallway, meaning that they weren't on the path to getting past this room. Instead, you would be backtracking and in essence rejecting this room. Thus, if you wished to have the brothers back, you might have to pick that orb, but would you then be stuck in Kinete forever?

If you could choose two orbs, perhaps the other one would still get you through the room. Deciding that this would be your best option, you stood between the two arms and reached out towards the two spheres. Resting a hand on each, you lifted them out of the hands of the fox-man. Upon doing so, the door to the hallway opened back up. This permitted the brothers access to the room, and in no time they came running towards you to see if you were okay.

Before they could reach you, though, the floor beneath the three of you opened up. Losing your footing, your grip on the spheres loosened, which caused them to plummet into the darkness below you. Furthermore, a loud cry of fear and surprise escaped your lips, as the ground vanished. Air soon rushed up past your descending form while your limbs felt like paper blowing in the wind. Trying to think of some solution to this predicament, you found your gaze resting on your daggers. Swiftly, you unsheathed them and combined them into your queen's weapon. With no hesitation, you gripped it in your hands and lifted it above your head. In the next moment, you jabbed it hopefully towards a nearby wall. When you felt resistance, you knew you had succeeded.

Each blade had lodged itself in the stone and had successfully held the sword and you in place. Now hanging from your weapon, you utilized its faint purple glow to try and see the bottom. Moreover, you needed to locate the brothers. The second task didn't take you long, though, since the brothers seemed to have similar ideas to yours. Both were hanging by their king's weapons. This would be slightly comedic if it weren't for the possible death awaiting you at the bottom of this pit.

Well, you did find the brothers alive, much to your relief. Now, you just needed to see if you could view what was at the bottom of this hole. The light from your blade shined brightly in the darkness, but it wasn't enough to see to the bottom. You wondered, though, if there even was a bottom. Still, you had to try; you would have to find the energy to charge your blade. As you closed your eyes and focused, neither of the brothers bothered you. They could tell what you were doing by the steady increasing glow of your weapon. Both wished that there was another solution, but they couldn't transport you back up to the stone hallway with them. So, they would stay where they were, and they would wait.

As time ticked away, you could feel the warmth growing in your weapon. It was near completion. Besides, you figured that you would need all the light you could get in this pit of void. When at last you felt the blade fully charged, you opened your eyes and gazed downwards. Staring back at you was still darkness. Your plan had failed, and now you were stuck hanging on your weapon above nothingness. Looking over at the brothers, you could see them trying to come up with a solution.

Unfortunately for you, they were allowed barely any time to come up with a plan due to your hand beginning to slip. You tried to keep your grip on your weapon, but when you regained it, the stones under your weapon gave way. Not only did your weapon fall out of your hands but you were now racing further into the void. With your weapon out of reach and no means of grabbing onto the wall, you shut your eyes and waited for whatever was at the bottom if there was one.

Up above you, however, you could hear the brothers cry out your name, as though that would summon you to them. The sound of metal being ripped out of stone followed before you felt arms wrap around you. You didn't know which was which, but one of the brothers was holding you from behind while the other one was in front of you.

Whoever was in front pressed your face against their chest while the other rested their chin atop your head. A faint smile etched itself across your lips, as you relaxed in their embrace. They could very easily save themselves from this fall, yet they chose to stay with you. Knowing this, you found yourself quietly thanking them in the darkness.