Cliff's Edge

When the wagon with the horses and all four of you were off the ship, one of the crew lifted the anchor while Daren took away the board again. Captain Nichola waved to all of you before commanding her post at the wheel. Thus, it only took a few minutes before the Feathered Ensnarersailed back towards the city of Mareandaqua. Iris hopped onto the top of the wagon before signaling for the brothers and you to get on as well. She proceeded to state that the path towards her house also led to the cave where the mermaids resided.

Deciding that you might as well take up her offer, you slowly got into the back. Diamond climbed into the bed of the wagon as well while Heart took a seat next to Iris in the front. Leaning against some of the crates, you tried to get comfortable against the wooden objects. Before you had a chance to find a suitable position, Diamond wrapped his right arm around your waist and pulled you gently over to him. In no time, you found yourself on his lap. Granted, his chest was more comfortable than the wooden crates, but instead of admitting this, you asked him to let you go. His response was to wrap his other arm around your waist, securing you to him. Proceeding to rest his chin on your right shoulder, he just mentioned that you needed to relax. You were going to retort his statement, but knowing that it would be useless, you decided against it. Thus, you did your best to keep your cheeks from changing in color.

You achieved this by focusing your attention on the passing scenery. Originally, the wagon had been rolling on the beige sand covered shore. One could see a few seashells, in hues of shimmering pinks, oranges and blues, scattered here and there near the water's edge while clumps of seaweed washed up from the sapphire blue sea. Turning away from the shoreline, you glanced at the path ahead. The wagon now traveled on a dirt path, leading into the abundance of trees. All of these trees had medium brown trunks that transitioned into thin branches, which held emerald green leaves. Beneath the canopy, grass, about a foot tall, covered the earth. A light wind blew over the area, causing the leaves to shine like gems in the afternoon sun.

This gentle breeze aided in your relaxation while the warm rays from the sun aided in this process. For a moment you forgot that you were leaning against Diamond, causing you to press more into his back to get more comfortable. It didn't take long for you to remember who was behind you. Thus, you went to lean forward, but found yourself unable to do so. Diamond's arms were now wrapped tighter around your waist while his face began to nuzzle into your neck.

Heat rushing to your cheeks, you went to push him away from your neck; however, you noticed his calm and even breathing. Peering down at him out of the corner of your eye, you noted that he was peacefully and fast asleep. The faintest of smiles tugged at the corners of your lips, as he was quite adorable in his current state. Carefully, you lifted your left hand before you pushed a few strands of his red hair away from his face. How he managed to have such soft hair was beyond you, but you couldn't help yourself from running your left fingers in a soothing manner through his red locks.

Maybe it was the warm beams of light shining down on you, or maybe it was just that you were exhausted yourself, but during this time you had forgotten a small detail. There were two other people on the wagon. Iris paid no mind to the bed of wagon, but kept her yellow eyes on the road in front of her. Moreover, her mind was focused on other matters that were unknown to her traveling companions. Concerning Heart, he glanced over his shoulder a few times to check on you two, but stopped on his fourth time of doing so.

The scene before him slightly shocked him before a smirk pulled at his lips. It was quite amusing to watch, since you didn't even notice him staring. Furthermore, he figured that you were most likely unaware of your own current expression. Your (e/c) eyes held such care and tenderness in them, as you ran your fingers through his brother's hair. Deciding that he shouldn't observe the scene any longer, Heart turned around to face the path ahead, however, his smirk soon morphed into a small smile. Now, his brother and he were most likely even. You had kissed him back, and now you were adoringly calming his brother into probably a deeper sleep. As Heart glanced at the leaves being blown in the breeze, he continued to keep the smile on his face.

While the four of you proceeded with your own actions, time passed and soon all of you were coming out of the trees. The wagon rolled on the dirt path, which led to a farm in the distance. Dozens of man-made hives could be seen in front of the house. These hives rested on shorter grass than what was in the forest. As for the house, it was built out of stones like those back in Mareandaqua. Likewise, it was two stories, and you could see five paned windows on the front of the house. A door, painted blue, further sealed the inside of the house from the outside elements. Its flat roof had a wrought iron table and chair set on top. Next to the house, on its right side, was a stable for the wagon and horses. Behind the house massive mountains stood, which reached up into the transparent clouds. Their smooth dark grey surface only added to the intimidating nature of the rocks.

Iris led the horses and wagon towards the stable before getting off. She disconnected the wagon from the two red roans before leading the horses into their stables. During this process, Heart climbed down from his seat while you abruptly stopped your action. Thus, you flicked Diamond hard on the forehead, getting him to wake up. Lifting his head up from your shoulder, he looked at you slightly puzzled. After you stated that he had fallen asleep and that you were at Iris's farm, he nodded in understanding before releasing his grip on you. With this in mind, you climbed out of the wagon and walked out of the stables. Glancing at the surroundings, you saw that the dirt road led in two other directions as well. The path to the right led around the mountain range while the path to the left went under the mountains, since there was a way carved out of the dark grey stone. Hearing footsteps behind you, you glanced over your left shoulder to see Heart approaching you.

Soon he stood next to you before lowering his lips to your left ear and whispering, "Don't worry, I won't mention what I saw to Diamond, my dear lady."

Your (e/c) eyes widened slightly at his comment before pink tinted your cheeks. Mumbling a "thanks," you created some distance between you two and muttered a few curses. Not too long after this brief exchange, Iris and Diamond joined the two of you.

"If you wish to reach the mermaids, you'll want to head north, taking the left path. It will lead you directly to the shore, which views their cave. Before you go, though, I have something that will help you," Iris stated before running over to her house.

As the brothers and you exchanged a couple of glances, you waited for her to return. Your hands rested on the hilts of your daggers, since it was most comfortable position for them. As for Diamond, he adjusted their pack on his back. Regarding Heart, he slung your pack over his right shoulder before putting his arm through the left strap as well. A few more minutes passed before the three of you heard the door reopen and close. Iris came running over to you three, holding a jar of honey in her right hand. Holding it out for you to take, you obliged her and took the jar in your right hand.

"The mermaids here love the taste of honey, so they'll take your gift with open arms. Hopefully, it will sway them to help you."

"Well then, you have my thanks, Iris. Moreover, thank you for taking us here," you replied before shifting the jar to your left hand and waving your right hand in goodbye.

She returned the gesture before you three turned away from her to continue your journey. Heading down the left path, the three of you soon found yourselves walking under the stone roof covering the path. It made the road somewhat dark, but you found yourself running your right fingers over the smooth surface of the wall. The coolness of the rock felt refreshing under the tips of your fingers. Smiling lightly at this, you proceeded onward and felt that the path was ascending.

Following the road, the three of you found yourselves out of the tunnel in what felt like twenty minutes. Once back out in the open, your eyes were met by the sight of the vast ocean. The path was no longer dirt, but stone, as it was seemingly carved out of the mountain. Your eyes scanned the sea before landing on the rock structures in the distance. Knowing that your target was among those formations, you began your descent down the stone path. Watching your footing, you used the rock wall to your right as support, as the sea breeze blew your strands of hair occasionally in your face. Heart was behind you and Diamond was behind his brother. Whenever you nearly slipped, you felt Heart's left hand grip your side, as he stabilized you back on the path. Of course, you mumbled a "thanks" to him, when this happened.

Due to the sound of waves crashing up against the rocks sounding louder in your ears, you knew you were getting close to the shore. Besides, you were no longer high up over the water. Instead, you were about fifteen feet above the water. Granted, it was still somewhat high, but at least it wasn't two-hundred feet. Being that high up and close to the water, when you first left the tunnel, you felt was a little frightening. Luckily, it was only a few more minutes before you were on the shore facing the rock formations. Looking down at the jar in your left hand, you really did hope that it would convince the mermaids to help you.

"Are you two ready?" you questioned, staring out at the water ahead.

"Of course, our little queen," they responded in unison, standing at your sides, with Heart on your left and Diamond on your right.