Amidst the Queen's Light

Debating over a few possibilities in your head, you finally came to a solution that could potentially work. Granted, you would need the brothers in order for it to succeed. Then again, it could be their way of paying you back for their mistakes. Thus, you thought that you might as well give it a shot.

"Heart, Diamond, how long do you think you can hold those bugs off?" you asked while continuing to run down the stones.

"For quite some time, we have a few tricks we can pull, Miss ______."

"Good, then do so, though, I don't know why you didn't pull them earlier."

"We were too concerned we would lose you in this dungeon, my dear lady."

"Of course, you both were," you mumbled. "Well, no matter, just do something that will stall those bugs," you exclaimed, as you skidded on the stones until you stopped.

They both nodded before halting their movement as well. Turning to face the horde of beetles, the twins snapped their fingers, summoning a familiar wheel. You felt a slight shiver go up your spine upon remembering that you once tied to that thing. Regardless, it landed right in front of the twins and broke into the stone walls. Annoyingly, there were still some holes where the beetles could wiggle themselves through. Still, their numbers were greatly reduced by the obstacle, permitting the brothers an easier time of slicing them with their sabers. Nevertheless, they could've summoned the thing earlier, rather than be occupied by their concern for you. With those two twins, it wasn't too surprising, though.

Figuring that you should probably carry out your part of your plan, you unsheathed your daggers and combined them. With your queen's weapon now formed, you gripped it with both your hands and waited for it to build up its energy. This move would require your patience, but you knew that it would work against the bugs. If it could work against a king, then there would be no doubt that it would overcome the beetles.

"Diamond, Heart, in several minutes I'll warn the both of you to lower the wheel and disappear for a bit. I don't need you two getting caught up in my sword's attack. I think if you wait for a minute, you both should be fine."

"If that's your plan, we shall abide it," Diamond replied before jumping back a few steps to render several beetles falling from the ceiling lifeless.

"We'll miss you for that minute, though, my dear lady," Heart added, as he skewered a bug on the end of his saber.

Bearing a mental sweat drop, you disregarded his comment and focused on charging your weapon. You could feel the warmth of the energy build up in the three blades on each end of the handle. Their faint purple glow grew in intensity, as the weapon readied itself for a powerful attack. The minutes ticked by, and you refused to look at the beetles coming through the openings. Seeing them would only stress you out, and you needed to place your attention elsewhere until your weapon was ready. When a powerful surge of energy coursed through the blades, you knew it was time to unleash your attack.

"Go now!" you called out to the brothers, who proceeded to waste no time in vanishing with the wheel. With them gone, you stared at the vast sea of bugs before shouting, "Show me your strength, my companion!"

Like back when you were fighting Umelius, a bright light encased the room. You could hear the bugs smashing against the walls, though, as they were blown back. It wasn't a pleasing sound; disgusting would be a better term to describe it. Granted, you didn't focus too long on the noise caused by your move. Instead, you felt your energy weaken, as your legs collapsed from under you. Most likely, you had put too much of your energy into that attack. In the future, you would have to be careful of that move. Waiting a longer period of time made the move stronger, but it meant zapping you of strength in the process.

Supporting yourself on the palms of your hands, you stared out ahead of you. The damage you inflicted was rather immense. Chunks of stone were broken from the walls while the beetles were left in a rather terrible state. Thankfully, you didn't have to witness too much of the carnage due to a cave-in caused by the attack. Well, you wouldn't be going back that way, but at least the beetles were gone.

Regaining your breath, you gripped your weapon back in your hands before disconnecting the blade. With the daggers back, you sheathed them and utilized the wall to help you back onto your feet. Turning to face the part of the hall that wasn't ruined, you saw two forms reappear a few feet from you. An expression of concern crossed the brothers' faces, as they practically ran forward to help you stand properly. Giving them a slight "thanks", you stabilized yourself on your feet. There was only one path opened to the three of you now, and that was going straight.

Thus, as the three of you progressed down the path, with the brothers standing close by in case your legs collapsed on you again, you looked for any signs of more traps. You didn't want another one activated, which meant that your pace was slowed somewhat. Any distinction in a stone would cause you to avoid it, as you exclaimed for the brothers to do the same. They thought you were being slightly paranoid, but kept their thoughts to themselves. Besides, when they reached the end of the long hall, they had made it through without triggering a single trap.

Once again, though, the three of you were faced with a decision: keep going straight or turn right. Since the right path had led to trouble last time, you were tempted to take the hall leading straight, but there was the possibility that the designers of this dungeon had that same thought process. Not wanting to send your thoughts on an infinite loop, you had Diamond decide the path this time. Like his brother, he chose right. About to groan about his choice, you stopped yourself upon hearing something down the straight path.

Squinting to try and see the source of the noise better, you found your mouth hanging open slightly. Down the path, you were originally going to choose, you saw odd creatures coming towards the brothers and you. Their bodies seemed to be made out of hardened wood, as they walked on thin branch-like legs. Branch-like arms moved randomly at their sides while a single red eye rested at the top of their trunk-head. As they neared, however, they dipped their heads a bit, revealing mouths, filled with razor-sharp teeth on top.

Suddenly quite glad that Diamond picked the right path, you bolted down it with the brothers trailing behind. Sadly, due to your earlier attack, your speed wasn't what it was when you entered Kinete. Noticing this difference as well, since they were running quite slow to stay behind you, the brothers wasted no time in acting. Thus, Diamond came up behind you and swiftly lifted you off your feet. A yelp of surprise left your lips, as you found yourself no longer on the ground.

"We'll get away quicker this way, Miss _____. In the meantime, recover some more of your energy," the red-haired male told you before peering over his left shoulder. "Heart, I trust that you can take out a few of them."

"I can eradicate more than a few, brother," Heart responded with arrogance lacing his voice.

Leaning your head back a bit, you could just see Heart unsheathe his weapon and run into the onslaught of monsters. You must say that you were impressed with his ability to dodge the seemingly endless amount of the attacks brought on by the creatures. Thus, you trusted that he would be fine despite the fact that he was probably trying to show off a bit. Bringing your head up some, you had no choice but to rest it on Diamond's left upper arm. It annoyed you that you had to do this, but he wasn't going to let you down anytime soon. With this in mind, you crossed your arms over your chest and kept your gaze on the path ahead.

"Miss ____, I know this may not be the best of times, but I must ask you something."

"Well, go ahead, since I'm kind of stuck in this position with you."

"What would you do if my brother and I were to die?"

This question took you quite off guard, and your mouth could only hang open slightly. Where did that come from? Was it because the three of you were nearing the last place in the song? The song had never mentioned any dangers in Jisef, but that didn't eliminate the possibility of them existing. Were the twins worried about such things? If so, it was quite unlike them. They were always overconfident clowns, who would pester you to no end. So, why did he ask you such a thing?

Being at a loss for words, you could only stutter out, "I ... don't ... know." Not being able to look at his eyes, you could only quietly add, "I never thought of that happening."

"Truly, you think too highly of us."

You almost let out a laugh at that remark, but the gravity of his question prevented you from doing so. All you could do was remain silent and try to wrap your head around that possibility. Somehow, you had thought of them as being invincible, but his question clearly unveiled the reality surrounding the twins. They could be defeated, and they could be killed.