Chapter 9: The First Time

Tim's point of view

Jason and the others were gone on another job. He wouldn't tell me what it was about. That's okay, though. I really didn't want to know anyway and I didn't want to fight with Jason over killing gang members and drug dealers. I only bring it up enough to plant it in the back of his mind. Anyway, I was sitting on the sofa in our newest hotel room sipping on my third cup of coffee. We moved to a town that was only two and a half hours away from Gotham. It was a rundown, crime infested city. I was hoping to maybe see Dick, Barbra, and maybe even Bruce soon. This time it would be on better terms. I made sure to keep Dick updated on our whereabouts. Jason wasn't too happy about that, but he got over it. This time we were able to stay in a really nice hotel. It was 3:00 am and I was getting worried. They left at 5:00 pm and they still weren't back. I wish Jason would let me come with them.                                                    

I could be of some assistance. I think Jason was more reluctant to murder in front of me. If I joined the outlaws I know that I could contribute to the team, but Jason's mind was made up and he was one of the most stubborn people that I had ever known. He hated the idea of me being Robin again. Truth be told, I have thought about sneaking out again, but Jason usually leaves Roy or Kory here to keep an eye on me since the whole Castillo thing. I suppose that he still didn't trust me completely. This was the first time in months that all three of them left. For the last few hours I had been on the couch waiting. My nerves were going crazy until finally, the door opened and Jason, Roy, and Kory entered, making me almost choke on the hot, black liquid I was in the middle of swallowing. I was most relieved to say the least. They were all dressed in their civilian clothes and kept their suits and gear in two fat bags. Jason was wearing one of his old faded jeans that had a few rips at the knee. I loved to see him wear those. 

"Hey there." Jason smiled at me, still walking in, his hair nearly drenched in sweat. I rose to my feet.

"Are you all alright? Is anyone hurt?" I asked, ready to get the first aid. I had to at least be of some use.

"We're fine, Tim. Were you that worried about us?" Jason replied, teasing me while ruffling my hair. I didn't care. He did worry me. I mean, they weren't exactly in the line of work that wouldn't make one worry.

"Well, yes. You can be rather sloppy when you work." I tossed back, gently slapping his hand off of my head. Roy laughed a little.

"So how did the mission go?" I probed. Roy was about to answer when Kory cut him off.

"OUR ENEMIES WERE VANQUISHED!" She said deafeningly, with her long, flaming, red mane flowing behind her as she walked. She wore a prideful grin on her beautiful orange face and her fists clenched in victory.                                                                                                          

"What she said." Roy answered with a discouraged look on his face, and feeling his ear to make sure it was still there. I made sure that they all had eaten something other than fast food. In their absence, I cooked Roman-Style Chicken to keep busy. I packed the chicken with fresh herbs, tomatoes, and peppers. It was rather light, yet satisfying. It really wasn't difficult. I just hate that these people only ever get food from a drive through window. Roy and Kory really seemed to enjoy my cooking. Jason just loaded the dish up with salt resulting in my eye twitching. Afterwards, I just sighed and rubbed the bridge of my nose. Jason didn't even notice. At least I tried, right? Jason and I made our way to our room after everyone was finished eating. Jason started stripping before headed into the bathroom (that came with our bedroom) to take a shower. He slowly pulled his shirt off, his shoulders and back muscles bulging. I just kind of sat there on the side of the bed, my cheeks aflame. After Jason showered, he walked out of the bathroom wearing nothing but a towel. I had remained sitting on the bed reading a book about computer programming. I tried not to stare, but I couldn't resist. I fought to keep my eyes to myself.