Chapter 20: The Hood and his Robin

Tim's Point of View

Our hotel room seemed so empty without Roy and Kory. In a way, the silence was deafening. I found Jason in the bedroom sitting on the edge of the mattress. I placed a hand on his back after joining him of the edge of the bed. In his hand was a photo of himself and Roy. The two were smiling and Jason was flipping off the camera with one hand while his other arm was around Roy. My guess was that photo was taken after a mission. Both men were dressed in their gear, except without the masks. It was truly heartbreaking to see them so happy because now Roy was gone forever. Suddenly, a clear drop splashed onto the photo. Jason's tears were rare. I couldn't imagine the pain he was feeling. Roy was more than his best friend. For nearly a decade, the two were practically brothers. I felt so useless. There was nothing I could do to make that pain go away. I hated that feeling with every fiber of my being.

"I helped him through his addiction. And he helped me regain my sanity after I was resurrected and brainwashed by the pit. Now look at us. He's dead and I'm falling apart." He said, wiping his eye.

"You're one of the strongest people I know." I replied, placing a hand on his thigh.

"It's just, in our line of work you can't always save everyone. You know that better than anyone." I felt my own eyes begin to swell with tears.

"I really miss him, Tim."

"I know." I muttered softly, while resting my head against his shoulder. Then it was just quiet. Neither of us spoke for several minutes. I really didn't know what I could say to help stop the pain of losing his best friend. All I could do was be there next to him and try to take on the burden with him.
A few days passed and Jason began going on solo missions. He wouldn't even let me ask to accompany him. The answer always interrupted the question with a stone cold "no." I felt like I couldn't argue with him about it, seeing as how it would only serve to bring up Roy. After he would leave, all I could do was sigh and pray for his safe return. Once again, the waiting was extensive and I only grew more and more anxious as the time passed.
I couldn't watch the television because I might see something on the news and then I'd just worry more. I found myself reading and sipping on coffee until Jason got back to the hotel the next morning. He still wasn't himself, though. He'd been sleeping on the couch in the living room instead of with me in the bed. When he wasn't sleeping, he was drinking.

 I didn't have the heart to tell him to stop

I didn't have the heart to tell him to stop. I thought it was part of his grieving process. One night he came back early from a mission. That hadn't happened before. He stumbled through the door, holding his side.

"Are you alright? What happened?" I helped him get to the couch before getting him a glass of water and retrieving a first aid kit.

"I'm fine. One of the guys just got lucky with their gun." I helped him remove his jacket and armored padding. Blood was smeared all over his face. A dark bruise has formed just above his stomach area.