State Your Claim (Watty Awards 2012)

We walked through the forest, advancing at our new home. We were going to a town just outside of Seattle. My pack consists of girls, as girls are sent out the field as agents. We were werewolves of course. Its not that bad, i've done it all my life, and will take my mothers place as the alpha when she hands it to me. Here's how it works. My father met my mother, and they had children. 8 of them in fact. I'm the fourth youngest, and only girl. When the female has produced both a girl, to take their place, and a boy, to add numbers to the pack, she must lead her daughter away, to do field work. I only see my brothers every so often, when the pack comes in to tell the males their findings. I think of it as being like a lioness, hunting the food while the male waits for it. It may seem harsh, but its our way of life. Our law. We started running now,in wolf form, my 8 girls and their mothers, advancing through the trees, to where we will live.

"Calla" my mother said. " we are at our new home" I was still thinking about my brothers. It had been a whole two years since i'd seen them. Antony and Jake, twins, the year above me. Sean,20, Sam,23. My younger brothers Jake,15, Cameron, 13, and Dylan,8. Well that's how old they should be. They had changed so much. My older brothers faces hard and grim. My father had obviously taught them his ways. The only one who seemed pleased to see me was Dylan. A tear escaped my face, thinking of how horrible my brothers had treated my mother and I. I pushed the tears back, trying not to show weakness in front of my pack. 

" Choose your rooms" i muttered, shifting into a human form. All my pack did the same, squealing in delight as they all wrestled to the door. They were lucky. Most of them had one older brother, not much older.  My father had bought the house, not caring if we used it or not. All the essentials were in it already. Everyone was settled, after a hour of breaking up fights about rooms.

"Right girls"I said, looking around the old oak table where all my young pack was. Our mothers weren't considered in the pack, they had their own and were there to chaperon. "you know the drill. We are at the school tomorrow, any sign of a werewolf in your class, tell me. Wear typical teenage things, we don't want to be stopped more than necessary. We are only going to the school to see if their are any other packs, so we can control this area. Do Not get OTT. Do Not lose sight of the prize. Our lives depend on this"

"Calla, what do we do if there is other wolves. Male wolves. We are all eligible for a mate. What if-" Sky, my beta, asked.

"We can't let them near us, we are in their territory, we can't have mates. Not unless its a Alliance, or unless my father says we can find a mate" i ordered. I may seem quite bossy, but the seriousness of this mission was indescribable. If we didn't succeed, we died. Tomorrow, we were going into the death zone.

"To bed" My mother ordered the girls. We filed out the room, to our rooms. No one argued with the Head Female Alpha.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The Next Day                                                                                                                                                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I moaned, as someone shook my shoulder saying my name. the light came on, and i instantly knew a sleep in was out the question. My mother stood there, and i could hear the other mothers getting up their daughters. I placed on my slippers, and wandered downstairs for breakfast. At the table was Sky, Fern, Isabella, Lily, Laura, Silver, Leah and Daniella. I sighed, taking my seat. I explained it all over again. Just to make sure they understood. We left to get changed. 

I went to my wardrobe picking out the most normal things i had, what i could show Alphaness and still fight in. All these were leather pants and a white puff tunic top, with a brown plaited belt. I placed them on, and tightened my hair into a fishtail plait. All in all, except for the weird fashion sense, i looked like a typical teenager. I placed on some high heels, as i imagined most high school girls wore. I had been told that i was the prettiest in the pack, as i was the only one who had brown hair, eyes and olive coloured skin. Apparently they all fit. I picked up my bag, strolling outside to the Audi, where all my girls were waiting. We all had Audi's as gifts from our fathers. I got into it, turning the radio on full blast, and racing down the road, followed by the others.