Chapter 7

Adria

"Finn?" I say lazily, twirling my quill on my work. I am very unmotivated but I never forget an assignment, even if The Trails of House Elves could be very tedious.

Finn grunts in response.

"Am I boring?" My quill runs out of ink so I dip it back.

"What?" Finn adjusts his position on the couch.

"Am I boring? You know, mundane...dull." I set down my work and join Finn on the couch. I hug a pillow. My latest fear was being too, well, normal. I guess I am. Like Draco said, I just follow rules and am not all that exciting. I mentally shake my head. Who cares what he thinks?

"I know what that means, you don't have to list synonyms. What I mean is- why do you say that?" Finn sits up from his sprawled position.

"No reason." I lie, trying to stop the conversation from aging further.

"Because you're sane that makes you boring?" Finn tosses a pillow towards me. "Adria you're just fine. Perfect even."

"Maybe I should spice it up. Not do my house elf report." I shake my head. "Nah, I'm still doing it."

Finn ruffles my hair.

"Stop!" I cry, tossing the pillow back at him.

"Make me." He taunts with his hands outstretched.

"If you tickle me I will jinx you, just a warning." I warn. Finn makes a face and sticks his tongue out.

*

This morning I woke up shaking again. Each time I wake up with tear stained cheeks. I always wonder why others haven't said anything. I guess the other girls think it is smart to leave me alone. I don't have any real friends that are girls. I just have my two boys. It is a bit of a downfall when it came to rooming. They will talk to me but not come close enough to invite me places. I'm also positive that a orange scruffy cat likes me more than anyone.

During breakfast a golden letter flutters down lightly, making a grand entrance.

"Where's mine?" Callum says as he shovels food down his throat.

"It's an invitation." I explain. "For exemplary students."

"Explains why you got one." Callum says nonchalantly. I don't know how to take that. Everyone expects me that way don't they? Studious and straightforward.

"It says to wear dress robes. This must be extravagant!" I say in awe.

"Can you bring a plus one?" Callum grabs for the jam.

I scan the golden card. "Yes, I can."

"Want to-"

"I'm not bringing you Callum."

"I'm tons of fun!" Callum points out.

"Some days." I teasingly shrug. I sit the rest of my breakfast in front of Callum. He eats like a black hole, it was surprising how he maintains his model shape.

"I'm going upstairs. Little extra class help." I grab my books.

Callum doesn't respond because he has already started on my food.

After numerous flights of stairs I reached the Divination classroom. I knocked on the door.

"Hello?" I call into the room as the door whines open. "Professor?" I continue to walk forward and set my things on one of the numerous circular tables. The room is stifling.

"Yes child?"

My hand flutters to my heart. "You scared me."

"I knew I would." Professor Trelawney.

"Then why would you-"

She waves her hands impatiently. "No matter dear. What do you seek?"

"Just a crystal ball I could borrow. It doesn't have to big I just wanted to..." I trail off. I am not really sure what I want to do.

"To take a look at what you saw, or didn't see, before?" Professor Trelawney's curly mane bounces as she shifts through a box.

"I guess. It's sort of been," I sigh, recalling my dreams, "a constant reminder."

Professor Trelawney made a 'tut tut' noise and pulls out a crystal ball. It is about the size of a goblet from the Great Hall. She proceeds to wrap it up in a purple and maroon cloth. When she hands it to me she doesn't let go.

"Now if you find anything, personal or not, it would be wise to tell me." She says seriously. Her eyes look large through her circular glasses.

"Sure." I put the ball in the bottom of my bag. I am sure I won't see anything at all anyways.

"It could be seen as extra credit." Professor Trelawney continues. "You seem like you'd enjoy that, not that you need any help."

Here we go again. My cheeks flame with color. I am even seen that way by teachers: a goody two shoes, teachers pet. I awkwardly nod and made my way back through the door.

*

The room is empty so I uncover the ball. I keep the lights off in case someone barges in.

"Lumos." I whisper. My cedar wand with delicate patterns on the handle ignites in white light.

The ball is dark and a slight fog rolled around aimlessly. I stare at it for a good few minutes.

"C'mon!" I tap in the ball in desperation.

Nothing happens.

This is ridiculous.

I regret the decision of getting it. I leave the ball in the bottom drawer of my dresser as soon as I feel the effects of slumber. Again my mind echoes with a high scream. I panic and try to keep myself awake. My mind floats down stairs, continuing with the nightmare and haunting screams.