Chapter 14

Adria

My shoes make a thick noise against the cold floors on my way to the fat lady portrait. The snow had come on fast, it was unusual for it this early in the school year. But the snow never really stayed and always begins its dizzying descent all over again. We are in the part of the cycle were the grounds are melting slowly. I am sure in a few days we will be bombarded with the returning cold. Before saying the password I turn over my shoulder. It's ridiculous how I have gained this new habit. Even though I have never seen them, I am still paranoid over Blaise's threat. He isn't one to be taken too lightly. Hopefully it isn't my oblivious eyes that were shielding them from my view.

"Wailing Banshees." I say clearly, but lowly at the same time.

The lady sniffs and swings open. Sudden footsteps sent me skittering into the common room.

"Why are you so jumpy?" A warmly curious voice asks.

"Hermione!" I calm down my frantic heart. Lately I've been like a bird, poised to take flight. My lack of sleep and paranoia is unnerving.

Hermione looks me over silently. It us worthless to lie to her so I avoid the subject all together.

"Have you finished your essay on Muggle etiquette?" I regret my attempt to sidetrack her instantly.

"Of course... I was raised by Muggles. You're acting rather odd." She says slowly. She opens her peony lips to question my behavior when Ron and Harry bombard her.

"Hermione!" Harry calls. "Oh, hello Adria!"

"I think I saw Finn a minute ago." Ron says helpfully.

"Yeah, I'll just go and find him." I say while thanking god for Ron Weasley. He just provided me with the perfect excuse to leave. I don't even think twice about Harry and Ron dismissing me to talk to Hermione rather urgently. Knowing Harry Potter it must be something important.

I am not sure as to what to do with the rest of my day. I decide to avoid anywhere that the cold can catch me. I turn a corner while examining a rather ornate tapestry. The air in my lungs leaves me when I run into someone. Before I even have time to react I am being pulled by my robes. I gruntle out a few words before recognizing my captor.

"Where are you taking me?" I grab the sleeve to my robe back. Draco turns to face me. His lips were turned in a coy smile.

"Somewhere private." He answers.

"Excuse me?" He laughs at my face turning pink and begins to pull me again.

"Oh!" I pull back and put my hands on my hips. "You're not taking me anywhere."

"Fine." Draco raises his hands in false surrender.

I huff. "What are you trying to accomplish? You scared me!"

"First off," he begins by leaning against the wall, "you ran into me. Second, I'm bored."

"Excuse me?" I repeat.

"You see trailing you is pretty dull." I roll my eyes at this statement. Draco shrugs. "All you do is hang out with your gangly pet-"

"Finn. His name is Finn."

Draco is unamused and just continues, "and that cocky Gryffindor boy. Or you read or do work. Anyways, we've gotten no information on you. So, let's get to it. How much do you know?"

I'm taken aback. I am not used to lying so often but I assume it is time to get used to it. "Know what?"

Draco rolls his eyes. "Come on. Blaise saw you following us. What did you hear Frenzen?"