Chapter 8

Adria

I awake Saturday morning and wipe my eyes. They are moist from last night. It's quite annoying and terribly unattractive. I am prepared to swing my legs over the bed when I feel a lump near my right foot. I slowly get up and am greeted with an irritable 'rewr'.

"Hello there." I whisper quietly to the ginger cat. The cat bit at my fingers.

"Come on now," I scold, "that's not nice." He rolls on his back and bats his paws at me.

I move my legs away as not to kick the cat. It retaliates by making a gruntled and loud meow.

"Crookshanks?" Someone calls. A girl peers around my bedpost. I had already gotten up. She crosses her arms. I examine her, it was Hermione Granger. I recognize her as a close friend of Harry Potter himself. I remember when Hermione used to be made fun of constantly. But I had always liked her. She has wits, assignments came easy to her. I have to study constantly for tests.

"Sorry, he seems to like me." I mentally urge Crookshanks to move from my bed. But he sat there proudly and pawed at my sheets.

"You're lucky, he has a select taste. If he doesn't like you you'll know." Hermione's eyes narrow. "Are you alright?"

"Of course." I say quickly. My speedy answer doesn't go unnoticed. But Hermione chooses to ignore it.

"I'm headed to the library," she states "you can come if you'd like." I ignore the pit of my stomach that says she pities me. But at the same time I am flattered.

"Sure. Give me two minutes to get ready?"

"Go ahead." Hermione gives me a warm smile.

*

The halls are filled with gossiping students overflowing for the weekend. My favorite jeans fit tight against my legs and my fall sweater hangs loosely. Hermione was quick to start talking after she found me to be friendly.

"Mind going over here?" She asks as she turns into a row of shelves. "It's my favorite." Hermione pulls out a worn book. She traces her finger down the spine

"No worries, I love reading." I say, my eyes going down the rows of books.

"I figured. You seem like a deep thinker." Hermione says, I can tell her mind is elsewhere. Her mind isn't totally focused on the conversation. I feel it's fair to let my own mind wander. I like Hermione, there was some aspect I think we shared.

Hushed whispers fell from behind the shelf. I take a book and peer through the nearly formed crack. A girl jumpsuit excitedly, her shoulder length hair flopping around. My stomach churned with distaste as I recognized her.

Pansy.

She leaned over to whisper in a boys ear. He completely ignored her, his face fallen. It was Draco. He looks like he had a fight with a dementor- and lost. But his handsome face still holds a sign of life.

"Hermione?" I turn to her, "I forgot I have to do something. Thanks anyway." Seeing someone like that made my stomach lurch. My thoughts whirl on what could have happened to him.

*

"Are you sure?" I crinkle my eyes. "This dress is disgusting." I eye the past the knee length red dress. It flares at the bottom and I had chosen kitten heels. But that was a long time ago when I got the dress. I regret buying it.

"It seems like you." Finn shrugs, "wait, that's what I should say right?"

"I seem like an ugly red dress?" I fall against my bed.

"Yup, I said the wrong thing." Finn leans back.

I invited Finn to attend the party with me, it's not like I had many options. And we're dating- I guess - so it's proper.

"I'm going to ask Hermione to go shopping when we go to Hogsmeade." I groan and get up to shove the dress back to the corners where it came from.

"You're friends with Hermione?" There was an edge to Finn's voice.

I look back at him, "Are you surprised I have other friends?"

"I just didn't know."

"Finn, neither did I. And technically we aren't friends. We're acquaintances." I nod, I've found the right word.

"Stop using big words." Finn clamps his hand over his ear.

I pull it back. "Since when is acquaintance a big word?"

"If I can't spell it, it is." I roll my eyes at him. Nicely of course.

I've already decided about buying a new dress at hogsmeade, and who I was bringing.

"Have you seen Callum lately?" Finn says absent mindedly.

"No I-" but I was cut off by Callum barreling through the door.

He pushes his hair back and pants, "I need your help."

A/N: sorry not a lot happened this chapter! And I don't know how to make this note bold so sooooorry. And thank you for all the kind feedback!