◇Chapter 4◇

"Welcome to your new home, young ones," Toriel greeted after they all entered. One small part of the group is mesmerized by the view (particularly Roxy and Flora), and the rest are slightly unfazed. The Winx had been in many mysterious places like the Library of Alexandria and the Legendarium World. Yet, at some point, this place to them seems somehow different. Toriel chuckled.

The goat woman continued. "Let me aducate you in the operation of the Ruins."

The creature stepped on a few buttons placed on the floor, then pulled a lever. The door ahead of them opened, and Toriel once again spoke. "The Ruins is full of puzzles... ancient fusions between diversions and doorkeys. One must solve them to move from room to room. Please adjust yourselves to the sight of them."

She went ahead as the seven fairies inspected a room. It's only the first room, yet it already has a puzzle. "I hate puzzles," Stella whined. "And we're going to have to face a lot of them! That's just great."

"We need to solve them to get past them, Stella," Tecna said. "You need to keep up. You never know, maybe there's a puzzle you can actually handle."

Bloom got an idea. "There are many different puzzles, right? There could be different puzzles which we could solve ourselves. One for everyone. If anyone could solve a puzzle, step up. Sound good?"

The group nodded.

Roxy, being the curious person she is, looked around and observed the room even more. Beside the door to the next room, she found a note. "Hey guys, I found a note."

The Winx approached her. "What does it say?" Musa asked.

"Only the fearless may proceed," the pinkette began. "Brave ones, foolish ones. Both walk not the middle road."

"I wonder what that means." Flora stated. "It could be a riddle or a warning."

Tecna noted the sign. Bloom nodded and said, "Come on girls, Toriel is waiting for us."

The girls went into the next room and found Toriel, unsurprisingly. She spoke yet again.

"To make progress here, you will need to trigger several switches." This made the group frown, but Toriel's face lit up. "Do not worry, I have labelled the ones you need to flip."

Another note was found by Roxy, and it read 'Stay on the path.' Telling the rest to do so, they nod and follow. They already see a switch, pointed by three arrows. The goat mother looked at them in patience. Bloom took the act and pulled it down. Toriel then left.

Two more switches ahead, Bloom thought as she looked ahead. She went up to the switch pointed by arrows and the spikes blocking their way disappeared, making Toriel leave to the next room. The group follow, but Stella is left behind. She looks at the other switch, and pulls it down.

No effect. She sighed, "This one doesn't even work." She caught up with the group.

In the next room, Toriel was discussing about how they should defend themselves when encountering a monster. In the room was a training dummy and a door to the next room.

"You may practice on the dummy, one by one." Toriel finally said.

Bloom stepped up, determined to fight. At the same time, though, she was told indirectly to spare monsters. She and the Winx had gone through so much, but they also knew when to spare people. Maybe it's time they actually did, like how they forgave Selina.

The fire fairy approached the dummy, then entered a FIGHT. Four buttons materialized before her like in the encounter with Flowey. She chose to use MERCY, and pressed the Spare button. Toriel nodded in the background, satisfied with her choice. "You've done good, my child. You prove that there is no need to fight."