◇Chapter 10◇

"I'm positive that the exit is downstairs to the basement," Tecna hypothesized, eyeing the staircase. "I'm going."

The fairy was held back by Bloom. "We need to ask Toriel first," she stated. "She owns the house."

Seeing that Bloom was right, Tecna nodded. The fire fairy approached Toriel, who was reading a book about snails. She breathed, then began speaking.

"Mom, do you know the way out of the Ruins?" She asked, kind of uncomfortable. Toriel was triggered, but she had thought of a way of making them stay.

"My child, this is your home now." She began. "I can cook you meals everyday and I prepared you a curriculum. That way, you'll learn here as well, even if you're finished, considering your age. You can live here."

"As much as we want to stay, we have to go." Bloom retorted. "Our mission is to free all of the monsters from being entrapped here underground. All of them, including you, mom."

Silence followed. In the hallway, the Winx and Roxy waited nervously.

"...I must finish something, Bloom." Toriel stated, removing her glasses and putting down her book. "Please, stay here." She stood up and quickly left, going downstairs. Bloom came running after, and commanded, "Follow her!"

The group of seven followed Toriel down to the basement, much to Stella's disappointment. They see Toriel up ahead, and run up to her. The goat mother sensed this and stopped, then spoke to them. "You wish to free all monsters, do you not?" She asked, sorrow hinting in her voice. Even without seeing, she could feel the seven girls nod in response. Toriel hummed, and continued speaking. "Ahead of us lies the exit out of the Ruins, the only way into the rest of the Underground."

Having heard that, the Winx almost beamed, until Toriel resumed speaking yet again.

"I am going to destroy it, and no one will be able to leave ever again. Now, be good children and go upstairs."

Toriel walked ahead to do what she must, leaving the girls behind. Bloom shook her head; she will not back down. No, not after encouraging her friends. Not after promising to Miss Faragonda that she and the Winx will free them all.

She was full of determination.

The fire fairy motioned for the girls to follow her as she stepped forward, all hesitance aside. They reached Toriel again, and she began talking once more.

"Every being that falls here meets the same end." She told them, trying to get them to go back. "They come. They leave. They die."

Bloom flinched, but she had seen near-death situations back then too. All of the Winx have experienced near-death battles with their enemies. This could be nothing to them at this point, right...?

"You naive children..." the goat mother continued. "I am only trying to protect you. If you leave, they--Asgore--will kill you. Please, go back upstairs."

Was that a death threat she told us just now? Tecna questioned herself. Then again, we have no idea about the Underground's history. Isabela still can't seem to connect with us, so maybe we'll have to wait until we get out.

The Winx were too determined to back down. They stepped forward once more, following Toriel to the end. "Do not try to stop me," she stated in a warning tone. "This is your final warning."

Not even that scared the fairies. They all reached the door--the only way out. Toriel stopped in front of it, with the seven girls behind her. "Hmph, you are all just like the others." She huffed, then turned to face them. "You all want to leave so badly? Then, so shall it be!"