Chapter 1

Noel

She was there again in my dreams today, in the memories of the past. Her smile, her laugh filled my mind. Her face was the epitome of beauty for me. There she was again as my eyelids closed. No matter how hard I try, she was always going to be there. Every morning I woke up with her memories. She was always there with me, ruling my mind and soul. Every morning my eyes fluttered open it was her I saw. My bedroom became the shrine of our love that I wasn't ready to let go. Stills of her had covered the walls in my room. I have kept all of her memories alive. I have not given her up and never will. Day by day, I have added moments of her life in mine. Her life of past three years has marred the walls of our room. It hurt every moment to see her happy, laughing, smiling and content with her new life, a life without me and because of me. I was no more the man beside her or one on the receiving end of her love. It had all gone. Vanished in the puff of air. Every day has been a breathing reminder of the past, a past I couldn't let go.

 Every day has been a breathing reminder of the past, a past I couldn't let go

Taking the glass of whisky from the table, I let it touch my lips. The amber liquid burned me and made me alive. It dulled the pain I had felt for last few years. Now it has become my companion, my friend and the only thing I saw as my well-wisher. As I drank and drank it brought me close to her, I saw her felt her. Her smell, her smile, the creaminess of her skin and everything else.

"Mr. Harding, your father is here to see you," Karen informed me through the phone. My thoughts were brought back to reality. My mental blocks went up in an instant. My emotional state was not an affair that I wanted to let the world now. Being the head of a company more than the worth of billion dollars didn't let me hold emotions anymore. Letting someone in your emotions, let see through them is a way of showing off who you are, telling them of what you feel. Emotions were used as weapons against one another when you have many rivals. The competition among the firms existed is cutthroat. One wants to eat another no one can be trusted and especially those who don't trust you.

"Show him in," I told her through the intercom. Picking the glass of whiskey I gulped the last of the drop inside of me. I made my green eyes devoid of emotions, letting them turn cold. An icy cold, that won't let them know about me that will only show what everyone is supposed to see. Karen knocked on the door. Telling her to come in, she let herself inside with my father just a few steps behind. His six feet frame once intimidated me but not anymore. I had earned the throne I sit on. How? I had bought him out, it was a friendly competition back then. I proved my worth. I had used my fund build company well enough to compete with my father's. I was better than him in business. I knew where and where to strike. In a year I stood as a competitor to my father's company and in two I bought him out. The only favor I got from him was that he let go of the company happily. Everyone outside the firm it had felt like that Father stepped down to let the son take over the throne but it wasn't. Karen left the room in minutes. I assessed my father. Same gray hairs, wrinkles, smile since I last saw him a year back. I didn't stand up from my seat neither I greeted him.