04: Thin Ice

*Your POV, Flash-Forward*

Losing your life is a strange feeling. I feel like my body has gone to sleep, but I can faintly hear Mark yelling at someone...  Or for someone?

*Jack's POV, What Happened Before Your POV*

Me, YN, Mark, and Felix were ice skating on the frozen pond in my backyard.  They had all come to visit me in Ireland,  and we've hung out 24/7. This morning,  we had a snowball war that left us all dancing around with snow and ice sliding down our backs.  Now we were playing hide and seek (because we are children), YN and Mark versus me and Felix. Me and Fe had gone off into the surrounding woods to count to 50, and we were at 36 when I heard two screams in the distance,  a higher pitched one and a lower pitched one. Then distant laughing...  And silence. I started to count again,  until I heard a yell.

"Jack! Felix! Get back here, fast!" I took one look at my friend,  and we both took off in the direction that we came.  Mark sounded urgent...

The trees that looked so beautiful on the way here were now tantalazing me, confusing me and Felix and seeming to lead us in the wrong direction. We had almost reached the pond,  it seemed,  when I heard Mark again...  This time,  he was screaming like someone had been shot.

"SEAN! FELIX!  PLEASE HURRY UP!  YN IS GOING TO DIE,  I NEED YOUR HELP!" I yelled back,

"MARK,  HOLD ON-" and cut myself off by smashing through the underbrush in my way,  ignoring the scratches on my face,  snow in my hair, and the drop of blood on my mitten as I swiped at my forehead. Felix and I ran onto the pond to find Mark bent over a hole in the ice,  trying to pull something out. When I ran toward him,  he just looked at me worriedly and something told me to see what he was pulling on.

...

Not what...

Who. Without even second guessing, I reached out and helped him tug. Upon touching her hand,  it was cold. As if ice had encapsuled it for years on end. Felix grabbed hold of her torso,  which Mark managed to pull out of the pond. We all heaved, and (Y/N) was freed from her ice cold prison. Mark laid her on the pond,  away from the patch of unstable ice.  I immediately removed my beanie and stuck it under her head.  (Y/N)'s skin was frozen.  Her clothes were stuck to her,  crystals already beginning to form where water once was. I wait for a second to see if she is responsive,  but I don't see any cold air leaving her lips.

Good thing I'm CPR certified. I immediately begin compressions and rescue breaths,  hoping for revival and a miracle. I can't lose her.. Not now, not ever.  I love this girl, and if she dies right now...

I can't think about that.