Chapter 10 - Daniel

Melody was humming while her eyes scanned the backs of the books in the library. Since she had started to date Max her health had improved a little and now she was thinking about finishing a research project she had paused a few months ago.

Even though Daniel couldn't stand Max, he did like the influence the boy had on her.

Melody was singing under the shower, she was almost floating instead of walking and every morning she woke up with a smile on her face.

At some moments Daniel had wished that the boy would mess things up, but so far Max had been nothing but the perfect boyfriend.

Max had paid for her dinner, had paid for her cinema tickets. He had brought her flowers on the third date. He had not once asked if he could kiss her lips. On the sixth date he had officially asked her to be his girlfriend.

Every time Daniel thought about it his stomach turned around. He had never had many problems with romantic comedies, but this one was literally sickening. And if this comedy would get a happy ending with a fairytale wedding and four beautiful babies, Daniel wasn't even sure if he would survive.

"Excuse me, miss, I can't find the book 'When a parent has cancer: a guide to caring for your children'. Could you help me find it, please?" Melody leaned on the counter and the young woman behind the desk looked up with a smile on her face.

"I will check it for you, do you have a minute?"

"Were you looking for this one?" Daniel walked towards her with the book pressed to his chest. "I just heard you asking for it."

"Daniel?" Melody's eyes widened and her cheeks started blushing. "I didn't know you were a psychology student?"

"I'm not." Daniel shrugged his shoulders and he shifted his weight from one leg to the other. "I just wanted to look something up for a friend of mine, but if you need the book it's yours."

Melody shook her head and she turned towards the lady behind the desk. "I'll find another book. Thanks for the help."

"Are you sure? Because I think your project is more important than my curiosity." Daniel wasn't even sure why he was doing it. He didn't know why he had grabbed the book she was looking for and why he was once again talking to her, even though it was forbidden. Maybe he was simply trying to get called back, but so far it didn't really seem to work.

"There are other ways to get my information." Melody cocked her head a little. "I'll simply search for articles first and I'll borrow the book once you're done with it."

Daniel rolled his eyes.

Why did she say yes to everything Max asked and no to everything he proposed?

Daniel was not actually asking for inappropriate things. He had simply taken a book she needed and he was offering to give it to her.

"I hope you'll be able to help your friend." Melody nodded and she wanted to turn around, but Daniel grabbed her wrist and forced her to stand still.

"Or, you could give me some tips and tricks so I won't have to read the book anymore?" Daniel raised his eyebrows a little and a smile spread across his face.

"Well, I was actually planning on working on my project before I'm out of energy today." Melody turned her wrist around and freed herself. "Actually, this entire conversation cost me a lot more energy than I would have liked to spend on it."

Daniel bent his head and he stared at his feet. "I didn't wanna keep you from your work."

"Great." Melody walked to the nearest computer and she concentrated on the screen.