Chapter 29 - Melody

"Crew, prepare for landing."

Melody had her nose almost pressed to the window. She had never been in England before.

Her parents had never really liked flying and they had thought that visiting England was too complicated by car.

"We're almost there." Max grabbed Melody's hand and squeezed it gently. He wasn't fully used to not being her boyfriend yet and Melody had stopped reminding him after he had pouted a few times too many at the airport.

Instead Melody nodded while she gazed at the landscape under her. At first she had only been able to see the green meadows, but now she could also see the small villages and houses.

"You did book a car too, right?" Max squeezed Melody's hand once more and Melody turned her face towards him.

"Yes, I booked a car too and two rooms in a hostel." She curled her lips up into a smile while she pulled her hand back. "I wonder where Daniel is right now..." She turned her face away from her former boyfriend and saw how they were now only a few inches above the ground.

"I guess he's somewhere on your lap. I mean, there isn't really much room in this thing." Max grinned, even though the smile didn't quite reach his eyes.

"Don't you wonder sometimes what your guardian angel looks like?" Melody stared at Max again and Max shrugged his shoulders.

The wheels of the plane touched the ground and around them a few people started applauding.

"Don't you want to know whether it's a man or a woman?" Melody felt a slight pain in her left ear and she swallowed a few times.

"Maybe I don't have one." Max whispered as if he was afraid that the people around them would hear them and would question their sanity. "If everyone in this plane has a guardian angel it would be kinda crowded."

"Maybe it is." Melody smiled again. Even though the thought that Daniel had been watching her all the time, had seen her at her worst, had seen her crying and totally broken, scared her, she also liked the thought of all those people she cared about having someone to protect them.

"Don't you think we'd notice?" Max frowned his eyebrows. "I mean, I get that he can walk through walls and such. I mean, he can't always wait until you hold doors open for him, but it's kinda weird that he can be there whenever he wants and then disappears into nowhere."

"You know that he hears everything we say about him, don't you?" Melody bit her lip and she felt her cheeks blushing.

"Please, keep your seatbelt on until we're standing still."

"Yeah, I know." Max leaned back in his chair and he took a few deep breaths. "I don't really wanna think about my guardian angel, okay?" He swallowed. "It's not like it will be some kinda hot girl who all of a sudden realises that she's in love with me or something."

"If she is, this might be the perfect time to tell you about it." Melody smiled once more, but Max didn't smile back. "We're already going to Stonehenge anyway. It doesn't really matter whether we perform one or two rituals."

"Melody..." Max shook his head. "We're here for Daniel and you and I'm not all of a sudden gonna meet the love of my life. I actually still think you were the love of my life." He unclasped his seatbelt and stood up from his chair.

"Max?" Melody allowed Max to help her to stand up after the one hour flight to Southampton.

Max had asked her at least ten times if she wanted to pay for some extra room so she could stretch her legs, but just as often Melody had refused.