Chapter 25 - Melody

The table in front of them was almost covered in books. Most of the books were in front of Max, so he could check them once more to be sure they had not missed anything important. Smaller piles were in front of Daniel and Melody so they could read them for the very first time.

"Did you find something yet?" Melody turned her face towards Daniel, but Daniel shook his head. "Did we overlook something?" Melody stared at Max, but he shook his head too. Melody let out a sigh and her elbow rested on the table. She didn't dare to check her watch to see how much time had passed. She wanted to know even less how much time they still had.

Daniel was an angel. He was a guardian angel. He appeared out of nowhere. He disappeared into nowhere. But he was always there.

Melody had a thousand questions, but she didn't dare to ask them.

Was Daniel always watching her? Had he seen everything she had done? Had he heard everything she had said? Had he been there when she had been taking showers? When she and Max...

She didn't even dare to finish the thought. Deep down she already knew the answer.

He had known everything about her. He had been making comments that now all of a sudden started to make sense. And most of all he had always shown up when she had needed him the most. Because he had known that she needed him. He had known that she needed someone.

"I can go ask the librarian if she has some more stuff that is just brought back or something?" Max stood up from his chair already without waiting for the answer.

"Melody?" Daniel put the book he was reading down. "Can you say something?"

"What do you want me to say?" Melody shrugged her shoulders. "Thank you for pretending to be my friend and maybe taking it all away again? Thank you for being my guardian angel and using all the information you had about me to make me like you? Thank you for breaking all the rules and all of a sudden realising that you shouldn't have been doing that?"

"You're angry with me." Daniel leaned back in his chair. "You're always angry with me."

"No, I'm not angry with you, it's just..." Melody hesitated and she took a deep breath. "You always find some way to surprise me."

"And you don't like surprises?" Daniel's lips curled up into a little smile and Melody sighed.

"I only like surprises when they're nice ones. I don't like the kind of surprises where you give me something and then say you're going to take it away again."

"I know." Daniel licked his lips. "I just couldn't find a way to become human without your help. I had to show myself to give it a try."

"You still can't find a way to become human. Not even after showing yourself." Melody raised her eyebrows and she crossed her arms over her chest. She wasn't angry. She was far from angry. She was afraid to lose someone she had started to like, or maybe even love.

"The day isn't over yet." Daniel grabbed the next book from his pile. "We only need a little bit of faith." He placed his hand on the book. "This will be the right one. I feel it."

"I've been looking everywhere and nothing showed up." Melody took a deep breath. "But if you want to believe that this book will be different, have fun reading it." She turned her head away from Daniel. She didn't want to see the smile on his face disappear again. She didn't want to read the disappointment in his eyes. She didn't want to see him putting away another useless book.

"Melody..." Daniel whispered and his elbow brushed Melody's side. "Did you put this in here?"

When Melody turned her head towards him, Daniel was holding up a white envelope with his name written on it. "Why would I hide a letter in a book?"