Chapter 24 - Daniel

For the first time in his entire existence Daniel understood how confusing being in love with someone could be. He shouldn't be happy right now, at least not as happy as he was feeling. His heart shouldn't have skipped a beat every time Melody refused to say she didn't like Daniel like that. He shouldn't secretly enjoy the awkward silence between Max and Melody.

Melody deserved better than someone mingling in her relationship.

Especially because Daniel wasn't even sure if he could offer her an alternative. He had watched the last few days over Melody's shoulder, but he had come to the same conclusion.

Not once had an angel become human and if there was an angel who had tried no one had written about it.

"You can already find a seat, if you want? Or do you have abandonment issues too?" Melody curled a corner of her mouth up, but Max frowned his eyebrows.

"Abandonment issues?" Max shook his head and Melody rolled her eyes. "Daniel is really telling you that crap? That he has abandonment issues?"

Daniel took a deep breath.

Of course Max didn't believe him.

Maybe deep down Melody didn't believe him either. She just wanted to believe him because she liked his presence.

"It exists!" Melody raised her voice a little, forgetting once more that she was in a library and supposed to keep it quiet.

"Yeah, I know, but I'm kinda sure Daniel doesn't have it. It's a little weird to disappear into nowhere when you have a thing like that, right?" Max hissed between his teeth and Melody turned around facing her boyfriend once more.

"Are you now saying that he's just playing me and trying to keep us apart?" Melody crossed her arms over her chest and Max took a deep breath.

"No, I don't wanna say that, I just don't wanna say it's not like that either." Max shrugged his shoulders. "He likes you a lot and I understand him better than anyone, but he shouldn't be using serious things like that as an excuse to stay close to you."

"Or you shouldn't doubt everything he does and says!" Melody cocked her head while she locked her eyes with Max'. "You don't know what he's thinking or wanting. You can't just assume things based on that one meeting and that one dinner you had with him."

Daniel knew he had to do something, before Max and Melody would end up in a fight and their relationship would end in a total disaster. If Daniel couldn't become human, he couldn't be an alternative. He couldn't be the cause of Melody ending up unhappy and unwanted.

There was only one problem.

Either Max or Melody would notice him appearing out of nowhere. If not both of them.

He had broken many rules already. He couldn't break this one either, could he? Daniel thought about it for a moment. He didn't have much of a choice. If he wanted to show up at some point, and preferably before Melody's relationship shattered, he couldn't wait a few more hours until he would get a perfect opportunity.

"You're assuming things too." Max replied, but Melody took a deep breath and rolled her eyes.

"I'm assuming something positive and you're assuming something negative and that's the difference."

"Actually you're both right." Daniel cleared his throat. He all of a sudden appeared next to Melody and he saw Max' eyes widen, while Melody slowly turned her face towards him as if she was trying to come up with a reasonable explanation in the mean time.