Chapter 27 - Melody

Melody shivered while she stood in front of Max' house. She wasn't sure what she was going to tell him, what she was going to ask him. She just knew that he was the only one who could actually help her and Daniel right now.

"Melody!" A bright smile spread across Max' face while he opened the door before Melody had been able to ring the doorbell. "Come in." He opened the door even wider and without Melody asking for it he helped her taking her coat off. "You should've given a call. I could've come to you."

Melody shook her head and she nervously tucked a strand of her long blond hair behind her ear. "It didn't feel right to ask you to come over while I'm the one who needs your help."

"You?" Max grinned. "You're coming to ask me for help?" He raised his eyebrows a little. "Usually I have to figure that out myself."

"I think that's because this time I'm not asking your help for myself." Melody walked towards the living room.

"I'm sorry about the mess. I was just having breakfast." Max shrugged his shoulders. "Do you mind if I'll finish it? I have to go to work in half an hour."

"I know." Melody took the seat next to Max' usual seat and placed her crutch on the floor next to her. The palms of her hands were still sweating and she felt her heart racing in her chest. "Of course you can finish breakfast, it's no problem."

"So, what do you wanna ask?" Max sat down and he took another bite from his sandwich. "You seem kinda nervous."

That was an understatement.

Melody was more than just a little nervous. She was terrified. And she wasn't even sure what scared her the most.

"I talked to Daniel yesterday..." She remembered the first rule of bringing someone bad news. "He has indeed found a way to become human." Melody bent her head and she avoided Max' glance. She knew that telling Max that Daniel had found a way to become human, was the same as telling him that she was probably breaking up with him to be with the guardian angel.

"And?" Max swallowed. His lips formed a straight line and he stopped moving, stopped chewing.

"He needs to go to Stonehenge to perform a ritual." Melody let the words sink in for a moment. "Which means that I would have to go to Stonehenge too."

"So, what do you wanna ask?" Max still didn't move, he wasn't even breathing.

"Daniel doesn't have a passport. He can't travel with me and..." Melody swallowed a few times. "He said there is a chance that the ritual goes wrong and then he won't be there anymore to help me."

"Are you..." Max couldn't finish his sentence. His chest was now moving up and down heavily and he put the unfinished sandwich on his plate as if he had lost all appetite all of a sudden. "Are you seriously asking me to come along?" Max stared straight into Melody's eyes and she took a deep breath.

"I know that it's a lot to ask. I'm basically telling you that the boy who swept me off my feet like even you have never done can become human and be with me forever."

"And you need me to make him do it." Max interrupted her and Melody nodded. "I hope I can kinda think about that for a second?"

"Of course. I don't mind. Take all the time you need." Melody bit her lip.

Even though Max asked her to give him time to think about it, he didn't say no right away.

"I will even understand it if you say no..." Melody took a deep breath. "I haven't even told Daniel that I was going to ask you to help me."