Chapter 32 - Daniel

Even though he wanted to get this over with as soon as possible, Daniel knew that Melody needed time.

She needed time to get used to the thought of having to kill her own guardian angel. She needed time to realise that it was either killing him or going back home without him by her side.

"I'll be next to you. You'll be fine." Max placed his hands on Melody's shoulders and Daniel and Max exchanged a short glance. "I trust him. I'm sure he wouldn't let you do this if there had been some other way."

Daniel nodded, but he didn't dare to look at the girl who had stolen his heart. He shouldn't have shown up anymore after finding the ritual. He should have let it go. He should have spared her this moment. He should have accepted that putting her through this was not worth it.

"Okay, let's do it. But please, let's do it fast before I change my mind and can't do it anymore." Melody's voice was far from steady and Daniel knew that it was his fault.

"Of course." He took a deep breath and then he turned around with his back towards Melody. "Now put the knife to my throat." He closed his eyes, but he didn't feel the cold metal touching his skin. "Melody?" He opened his eyes again and turned around.

Melody was completely frozen. She didn't move. She didn't say anything. She just had her eyes wide open and stared at her guardian angel.

"Max..." Daniel looked at the boy who still had his hands firmly on her shoulders. "Help her do it." He nodded at his former rival and Max nodded back at him.

"Daniel?" Melody seemed to come to her senses again and she pressed the palm of her hand to Daniel's cheek. "Don't leave me, please?" She pressed her lips to his, but Daniel didn't want to kiss her back. If this ritual would go wrong she would have to let him go.

"I will try my best." He curled his lips up into a smile while Melody stepped back. "I promise I will do my very best." Daniel turned around once more. "Press the knife to my throat." He took a deep breath and closed his eyes once more. This time he could feel the cold metal touching his skin and he swallowed one more time. "Do it in one smooth movement and I will barely feel anything of it." Daniel was lying, but that was something Melody didn't need to know.

"I'll guide you..." Max whispered and Daniel waited and waited.

"Do it, Melody. Do it." Daniel curled the fingers of his hands up, but he didn't open his eyes again.

Melody had to do it. Melody would do it.

He felt a sharp pain. He felt warm liquid rolling down his neck and then there was nothing but blackness. He couldn't feel his arms anymore. He couldn't feel his legs anymore. He couldn't feel anything anymore.

His heart in his chest had stopped beating and the blood in his veins stood still.

He had stopped to exist. He had stopped being anything. He had stopped being something. He was nothing. He was no-one.

It was both terrifying and calming at the same time. It was both freeing and oppressing. It was both enchanting and damnably.

While he drifted further and further away from the human world, countless moments of endless lives crossed his mind. He had guided single mothers. He had guided kings and queens. He had guided vagabonds and beggars. And he had guided Melody.

The heart in his chest beat once.

He thought about the first time she had opened her bright blue eyes. He thought about the smile on her parents' faces when they had held her for the very first time. He thought about everything she had learned and everything she had become.