Chapter 20 - Daniel

The rest of the morning they had read in silence, apart from Melody sighing once in a while and Daniel grinning because of the nonsense humans wrote down about his kind. He couldn't blame them for it.

Most humans had never seen an angel and those who had seen one didn't know.

Melody didn't know. Right now she believed he was a writer doing research for a book.

Daniel wondered what she would do if she knew the truth.

Would she run away screaming? Would she freak out? Would she all of a sudden realise that he had not learned how to read her in only a few weeks? Would she realise that he had been with her all those years? Would she think he was a freak? A creep? A stalker?

"Melody!" Max yelled from the kitchen and Melody stood up from her bed.

Daniel had not really found anything useful and right before lunch he had said goodbye to Melody, a little bit disappointed. And even though he had tried not to show it, Melody had seen right through it.

Today she had been searching the internet for information on angels all day and she was planning on at least giving him something tonight.

"Did you give Daniel the right address?" Max smiled while the smell of fresh made food filled the entire house. Melody had never been a great cook, but Max was working on his famous lasagna. If only Max knew that for Daniel everything tasted exactly the same. If only Max knew that Daniel was actually trying to steal his beautiful girlfriend.

"Yes, I did." Melody nodded and she raised her eyebrows slightly. She leaned against the doorframe, automatically taking the weight of her hurting leg. "I hope he can find it, because I don't have a phone number or something."

Max shook his head, but his lips curled up into a smile. "He's one of the very few friends you have and yet you still don't have his phone number. How do you reach him when you need to talk or something?"

Melody shrugged her shoulders. "I don't." She paused and took a deep breath. "I just wait until he shows up eventually."

"He just shows up sometime? Really?" Max raised his eyebrows. "You can't send him an e-mail or Facebook message or something like that?"

"I never really asked for his Facebook or phone number." Melody's voice was barely a whisper now and Daniel wondered if she couldn't just walk to the front door so he could ring the bell and interrupt this conversation before they would start asking questions during dinner Daniel didn't really feel like answering. "Daniel shows up when he wants to and disappears when he wants to. The only time I actually planned on meeting him was yesterday."

"So, you are friends, but always meeting by accident?" Max spoke slowly, weighing every word on his tongue.

"Yes, I know that our paths eventually cross again." Melody swallowed and she bent her head to stare at the floor. Since Max was around more often than not Daniel had to guess what was going on in her mind. She wasn't talking out loud anymore. She wasn't having entire conversations with imaginary boyfriends anymore.

Over the years Daniel had however learned to read every movement and gesture.

"I know that he sounds like a bad friend and I might have told him yesterday that he is, but..." Melody took a deep breath and she looked up into the eyes of her boyfriend again. "He's the only friend I have left, okay?" She cocked her head. "All the others stopped being friends with me because they couldn't deal with having to adapt their plans to my physical condition."

Daniel clenched his teeth and automatically his fingers curled up forming fists. He had never really understood why someone would stop being friends with someone like Melody.