Chapter 30 - Daniel

For the last two hours Daniel had waited for the perfect moment to show himself. At first he had been planning to appear on the backseat of the car, but after Max' comment he realised that he could allow the boy at least one more hour with Melody without Daniel interrupting him and stealing her attention. But now they had parked the car in front of their hotel and while Max helped Melody to step out, Daniel noticed her eyes clearly searching for him.

"Daniel?" She eventually whispered.

The area around the hotel was quiet. There were no houses anywhere near and during the last couple of minutes not one other car had passed them.

"Daniel, I reserved the hotel for three people. We can't show up with two and then all of sudden come back with you in a couple of hours." Melody sighed and she crossed her arms over her chest.

"I'm here." Daniel appeared out of nowhere. His voice was barely a whisper and he felt his heart, that wasn't even human yet, racing in his chest. He had never believed people when they had said that the nervousness was killing them, but he started to understand what they meant right now.

"Did you have a nice flight?" Melody cleared her throat and she unfolded her arms again. Even though she had technically picked him, she always seemed a little uncomfortable around him as if she didn't know what she could and couldn't do yet.

"I had. I mostly enjoyed the view." Daniel winked and he looked at Max who took the wheelchair and their suitcases. "Do you want me to take a few things from you?" Daniel held out his hands and Max gave him the two suitcases without even making him repeat the question.

"Thanks." Max' locked his glance with Daniel and Daniel knew that Max wasn't just talking about him offering to carry the suitcases. Max was also talking about the last hour he had gotten to share with Melody. "We're just gonna check in and then we're going to Stonehenge right away." Max helped Melody in the wheelchair and then he pushed her towards the entrance. "We can do the unpacking afterwards, right?"

Unpacking, shopping, finding someone who could get him a passport so he could book a ticket to fly home with Melody.

Daniel knew that their problems wouldn't be solved once he would become human. They would only get started, but once he would have Melody he could handle everything, he was sure about that. "We've been waiting for so long now. I can wait a couple of hours longer." He actually couldn't, but he didn't want to come across as unthankful after everything Max had done for him.

"Maybe you can, but I'm kinda sure she can't." Max grinned and he nodded towards the girl in the wheelchair he was pushing. "Patience has never been her strongest suit and I don't need to know her for twenty years to figure that out."

Daniel couldn't help grinning and with a smile on his face he entered the hotel.

"Good afternoon, Miss." Melody stood up from her chair and she leaned on the counter. "I've reserved two rooms under the name Waters." She smiled a charming smile and the lady behind the counter nodded.

"I see. You're traveling with a wheelchair I see. Do you need any special accommodations?"

"O no!" Melody made sure to shook her head as quickly as possible. "I'll be fine in a normal room. My boyfriend will take care of me."

A strange kind of warmth spread through Daniel's body while she called him her boyfriend and the smile on his face brightened, if that was even possible.

"I understand. I will give you two rooms on the ground floor just in case. If there is anything you need, feel free to let me know." She wrote something down next to Melody's name and then she gave her two keys. "I hope you will enjoy your stay. They have forecasted beautiful weather for the upcoming days. I hope you can make a few wonderful pictures at Stonehenge." She smiled once more and Melody smiled back.