Chapter 23 - Melody

"Are you sure you don't want to do anything else today?" Melody stared at the almost empty library and she immediately felt sorry for the young lady behind the counter who had to work on a beautiful Sunday like this one.

"Yeah, and is that with or without you?" Max raised his eyebrows a little, but his lips curled up into a smile. "You've been doing research on angels becoming human for days now. I guess you really wanna show Daniel what you've found out." There was still a little bit of jealousy in his voice, but Melody doubted if she would be able to take that away.

"He doesn't have a phone, so I can't let him know that our plans changed either, but I don't want to force you to spend time in a library when you don't want to." Melody shrugged her shoulders. She leaned on her crutch and she stared at her watch. She realised they had never talked about being here at a certain time and she licked her lips.

"I don't remember the last time I was in a library, but that doesn't mean I don't wanna go there." Max' shoulder brushed hers and he wrapped an arm around her waist. "I've spent a lot of time in libraries, actually."

Melody smiled and she allowed her head to rest on his shoulder for a moment. "I don't know when Daniel will be here, but I hope he'll come up with the same idea and will find us there eventually."

"Do you wanna go to a computer so you can do some writing on your research project in the mean time?" Max' hand was still resting on her lower back and Melody shook he head.

"No, I think I can better do the typing at home, where no one can disturb me."

"Are you sure no one can disturb you there?" Max had a little twinkle in his eyes while he turned Melody towards him. "Does that mean you're gonna ban me from your house until you're finished?"

"Maybe..." Melody avoided his glance, but she did wrap her arms around his neck.

"Are you gonna ban Daniel from your house too?" Max pressed his forehead to hers and Melody felt her cheeks heating up, even though she didn't really know why.

"Of course! I'm going to ban everyone from my house!" She spoke a little too enthusiast and the librarian looked up with a finger pressed to her lips. "The only one I'd consider not banning is you." She whispered the sentence and Max smiled while he nodded at her.

"So, is there anything we can do while waiting for Daniel to show up?" Max pulled his hands back and he sighed while he looked around.

"We can read a book?" Melody cocked her head, a smirk playing around her lips. "Or we can check the mythology section again if they have the books that were listed in the database but not there last time Daniel and checked?"

"Shouldn't we wait for Daniel before we do that?" Max frowned his eyebrows, but Melody shook her head.

"I know which books we have checked and which ones not." Melody headed towards the right shelves and she cocked her head so she could read the titles.

"Do you really believe him?" Max interrupted the short moment of silence and Melody straightened her back again.

"What do you mean?" She turned around slowly and Max swallowed.

"That whole story about writing a book and doing research, do you believe that?" Max locked his stare with Melody's and Melody shrugged her shoulders.

"Of course, why would he lie about something like that?" She shook her head.

Was Max really doubting Daniel? Or was he just saying that because he wanted Melody to doubt Daniel?