Chapter 28 - Daniel

"Daniel!" Melody screamed. She stood in the middle of her room surrounded by every piece of clothing she owned. "Seriously, what kind of guardian angel are you when you're never there when I need you?" She crossed her arms over her chest and stared at the huge chaos she had created.

"I'm supposed to be invisible, remember?" Daniel appeared on the edge of her bed and he leaned towards her while his lips curled up into a smile.

"Yes, you're supposed not to interfere with my life and not to show yourself. You've broken all those rules countless times already. A few times more or less won't matter, right?" Melody cocked her head and she turned around. She had a beautiful glimmer in her eyes and her cheeks were slightly blushing.

"I don't know what matters and what doesn't anymore." Daniel shrugged his shoulders. "I only know that you matter, but you've mattered for the last twenty-one years already."

Melody rolled her eyes. "I've already picked you, you don't need to feed me any more compliments to win my heart."

"I'm not trying to win your heart. I'm simply telling the truth." Daniel stared at Melody once more. Sometimes he had to remind himself that in less than twenty four hours he would be able to hold her, to kiss her, to love her. Sometimes he had to remind himself that in less than twenty four hours she would be his and he would be hers.

"Can I ask you something?" Melody cocked her head slightly and she frowned her eyebrows. "If you were not allowed to interfere with my life, what were you supposed to do then?" She bit her lip and let out a sigh. "I don't want to blame you for anything, but I know quite some people who have a much better life than I have."

Daniel nodded and he swallowed. He had been waiting for this question ever since he had told Melody what he was and he was not sure if he would be able to explain it.

"Is your job simply watching me and doing nothing?" Melody grinned and she sat down next to her guardian angel.

"No, it's a little more than that." Daniel cleared his throat. "If I have to I am allowed to save your life." He curled his lips up into a smile. "Of course, I won't always have enough time to do so and I can't magically heal deathly illnesses." He paused for a short moment. "But I can carry you across the street when you overlook a car, for example."

"So basically you can't make my life less miserable, but you can make it last longer?" Melody raised her eyebrows. "I have to admit that I'm not sure if that sounds very useful." She bent her head and swallowed before she looked up again.

Daniel already knew which question she would ask. "No, I didn't save your life so far." He answered in advance. "You would have been as alive without me as you are now." If he would have had to save her life every few days, he wouldn't even have told her about the ritual. He would have lied to her face. He would have done anything to prevent her from losing the one person standing in between her life and death.

Melody nodded and she licked her lips for a short moment.

"And don't you dare to take more risks now you know that I'm watching over you!" Daniel brushed her shoulder teasingly. "You won't get a new guardian angel when I become human."

Melody turned her head to the side and a smile spread across her face. "I wouldn't want a new one. I have to admit..." She hesitated. "It's a little uncomfortable to know that you've been watching over me all the time. That you've seen everything I've done."

Daniel knew what she was talking about and he felt his cheeks heating up. "Trust me, it was very uncomfortable for me too."

Melody grinned and Daniel grinned back.