The Weight

He knew he must keep very still while he waited for the MRI machine to finish its cycle. He was also waiting on the results of a CAT scan.

Months ago he'd started getting headaches. He brushed them aside. He had a high stress job, a wife, three kids. Life was hectic. Headaches were expected.

But then they started getting worse. Blinding pain. He couldn't focus on things. Nothing. His wife had urged him to the doctors. He refused. She nagged and nagged, until finally he gave in.

The doctor gave him some migraine medication and sent him on his way. The damn pills did nothing but leave him groggy and irritable. It was really taking a toll on both work and home life. He couldn't focus on work. He was easily agitated by his wife and children.

He started drinking.

And then she said she was taking the kids and leave him. He begged for another chance.

He promptly went to another doctor. This one apparently had been paying attention in class. Tests were performed.

There was a mass in his brain.

Now, here he was, undergoing more tests. For him, for his wife, for his kids.

They had to know if it was operable. Would chemo help?

What was the next step?

Well, the business side of his mind screamed to him to up his insurance policy and make a Will. He's never done a Will before, never thinking it was too terribly important.

He wanted his wife and children to be taken care of. To have a good, comfortable life if something were to happen.

The nurse interrupted his thoughts, retrieving him from the room and ushering him to the doctor's office.

Waiting always seemed like forever. Especially when you were actually terrified.

The doctor walked in after what felt like an eternity. He cleared his throat, settled his glasses on his face.

The two men stood facing one another.

The doctor raised his hand to shake his. "Congratulations, Mr. Stephens. It will be a long process, but the mass is completely controllable."

Best. Day. Ever.