It can happen to anyone

He was stunned. He looked at the little piece of paper in his hands and then back to the television screen.

He read each number out loud.

He'd won. Oh god. He's just won the lottery. 2.5 million dollars.

He fell backwards on his ratty old recliner.

So many emotions. Joy, relief, disbelief... fear and paranoia. What if someone robbed him of his ticket? What if other people had played the same number and the money was broken down into next to nothing.

No, he had to be positive. He played pretty unique numbers. That money was his.

What would he do with it all?

He would put his mother in a proper retirement home. One where she would have her dignity back. He would buy a house. Nothing extravagant, something just cozy enough for himself. He'd get a better car. He'd send some money to his sister. They didn't speak at all, but maybe if he sent her a money order she'd use it.

Everyone said if they won the lottery, they would keep their job. What bullshit. He intended on quitting his as soon as his winnings were verified. He'd live off the money. He wasn't a big spender, a homebody, his monthly expenses were not high. He would start eating better though. Steaks, fancy restaurants, the works.

He picked up his phone and dialed the number on the back of the ticket, speaking to a representative. She confirmed his winnings, indicating that thus far no one else had staked any sort of claim that he'd have to share. She told him where to go and what to do to claim his money.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow he'd put on his best attire and start a whole new life. A better life.