Dinner for two

She knelt on the carpet in her new living-room, but she was less than happy. That damned dog had tracked mud into their new home from their lovely garden. She had warned her husband if he didn't start taking the time to train that stupid dog, she'd get rid of it.

He had started training, before they moved, but then seemed to lose all interest in even having the stupid dog, spending more time at work. Yes, spending more time at work afforded them this beautiful new home, but already it was getting ruined due to the dog.

When she had threatened to get rid of the dog, however, her husband's retort had been "I'd sooner get rid of you than the dog. At least the dog doesn't blow through my money." Oh, that had pissed her off. She was not a big spender, and all she did spend was for the lifestyle HE wanted to world to see. Fancy paintings and furnishings for the house. Dinner parties. She had, over the course of their marriage, become quite the chef.

After cleaning up the dogs mess on the carpet, thinking all the while, she got up and put the cleaning materials away. She had tied the dog up outside.

The time had come for threats to stop.

It hadn't taken her long. She knew exactly what she was doing. Another extravagant dinner for her husband. It would be even better if he brought a guest. Maybe his co-worker that she knew he was having an affair with?

She toiled away in the kitchen before going to clean up, putting a pretty blouse and skirt before slipping on a clean apron over her attire.

She was in the dining room, putting the evening's meal on the table when he walked in. Yes, he was late, as usual, but preparing dinner had taken her longer than usual, so she said nothing. Why provoke an argument?

He took his suit jacket off, laying it over the back of one of the empty seats at the big table. He immediately started eating, sipping from his wine from time to time.

She sat in her own chair, nibbling on her salad and some of the fresh bread she had made.

She was used to eating in total silence, so when he spoke, she looked up and blinked at him.

"This is really great. The ribs, the pate." He said, shoving a bit of the pate on a cracker in his mouth. "Where's Rex? He'd like this..." He then said, referring to the stupid dog. He continued eating, awaiting her answer.

"Rex. Well, he tracked mud all over the living room carpet today. White carpet. Do you know how hard it is to clean? He had to be punished. So do you as a matter of fact." She said, placing her fork down and putting her hands in her lap on an item hidden in her apron.

"Rex is right here. Like those ribs? Love that pate? Woof."