Theodosia (15)

Angstttttttttt-L

I had come up with a pretty reasonable excuse as to why Philip had a swollen eye. My dad had clapped him on the back (to which he had winced), and my mom started making brownies.

Philip stayed over a lot more than we ever really realized, and so he already had a set of pj's here. Later on, we're both sitting on my bed, both in our bedclothes, a plate of brownies between us. I'm so glad to have him here again with me, just us being best friends, and laughing together. I've almost forgotten what this feels like, hanging out with him.

"And then," I snort. "The weirdo goes up to the flower pot and just whispers to it! And I'm standing there like what even!"

Philip bends over, cracking up. "You, ma'am, are a weirdo magnet. You know what they say? Like attracts like!"

"So that's why we're friends, yeah?"

"Uh, no. I clearly felt bad for you." He winks at me with his non-swollen eye.

I roll my eyes. "That doesn't work, Philip."

"I can't wink, I can't smile that well... Ugh. Ben messed up my best feature." He pretends to flop back on the bed, dramatically letting his curls flutter up around his face.

"Ah, wee lamb. How will you get by?"

Philip pretends to think for a moment. "Hmm... I wonder. It's not like I have a girlfriend anymore. Seriously. No sarcasm there. Girls just can't handle the awesomeness as me."

"You never had a girlfriend!"

"Do you remember Frances in fifth grade?"

"That doesn't count. She literally wrote you notes until..."

"What?"

"Until you finally said yes." I cough, trying to make sense of this. "That so doesn't count."

He crosses his arms and pouts. "It counted to me and Frances. I bought her a ring-pop. It was official and everything. Heck, I even wrote her-"

"What?"

"Um, science notes. I let her, um, cheat off me. Yeah. That makes sense. I'm going with that!" Philip rolls over and flashes me a victorious smile.

I produce an overly-dramatic eyeroll. "Whatever you say."

"Ask Frances. Actually, don't. Please don't. Don't rehash the past, please," Philip murmurs.

I smile at him. "You're being very silly, my dearest Philip."

"What can I say? Getting beat up really made my day."

It's my turn to pout. "I asked you not to."

"Puh-lease, Theo. Of course I was going to do it. Nobody hurts you and doesn't get a fist in their face. Like, common knowledge there. And if I get to be the one who gets to hurt them, bonus! Two wrongs don't make a right, but when you're the only thing right, I think it's justified."

"It didn't even hurt. That much."

"See? I am right about this. Ben is gonna leave you alone now."

He has a point. "Yeah, okay. Let's do something!" I say, putting my frizzy hair back in a bun.

"What are we going to do?" he happily replies, rolling off my bed gracefully and smiling brightly at me.

"I dunno. Help me brainstorm."

Philip practically bounces. "Oh! I know! Let's-Never mind."

"No no no what?"

"Let's just like, I don't know, maybe go to that one hill we went to when we were little? You know, the one where we watched the duck pond and we talked about what we wanted to be when we were grew up? And we could just sit there and talk and watch the stars?" he hopefully asks.