Maria (30)

Warning: Mentions of abuse. If you don't want to read, I will leave a summary at the bottom of the chapter -C

    The breaths in my chest come out quickly, and I fling open the door to the dorm. Then, I slump against the wall. Is this breathless excitement or something else? That hard feeling in my gut... Is it bliss or is it fear? I shake my head slightly, ridding those thoughts. I love James, right? I have to. He loves me, after all.

    Eliza stirs from the couch. Was she waiting for me to return? "M-Maria?"

    "Hey," I call out, falsely cheerful. "Shouldn't you be asleep?"

    She stands up wearily. "It's only morning." Her steps come closer to me, and she touches my cheek. "What... What is this?"

    "I tripped," I inform her, remembering that's what James told me to say. "Heh... I thought I could impress him by doing a flip, and my legs got tangled with my dress, and I hit my cheek."

    "No... No that's a lie. I can tell. The bruise would be higher if you landed on your cheek..."

    Laughing, I gently shove my roommate away. "Come on, Eliza. What are you? A doctor?"

    She looks at me, hurt. "No. I'm not. But I do know how to assess injuries because of Ang."

    "I bet Peggy was a real spitfire, got a lot of wounds." I stroll over to the kitchen counter and place my purse down. Then, I start going through it yet again. His present is in here.

    Ignoring my now empty wallet by setting it aside, I finally pull out the new silver bracelet.

    Eliza has retreated to the couch, curling up.

    I place the bracelet around my wrist, but a glimmer of light catches my eye. There's an engraving...? I smile slightly. Then, I actually read the words. Or word, more like.

    "Hey, Lizzy?"

    She grunts in response.

    "Text Jenna if she's missing a silver bracelet."

    "You do it."

    I pause, chewing on my bottom lip. "I left my phone with James."

    "Oh. Must suck."

    "Just text Jenna, sweetie." I grab my bag and tug it over to the bathroom with me. "I'll be out in a moment, kay?"

    "Whatever." She grabs her phone, though.

    Rolling my eyes at her apparent anger over nothing, I go into the bathroom and gently close the door. And lock it. Eliza isn't getting in here, not today.

    Once I'm visible in the full-length mirror, I adjust my dress slightly. Then, I pull it over my head. On my right side, an angry purple bruise has started... Five fingers stretching out around my body. Another bruise by my thigh, more fist shaped than anything else. And, of course, the darkening bruise on my cheek. It still stings.

    I don't care though. It means nothing. I grab my dress and pull it back over my head, adjusting it so it hides all of this.

    Eliza's phone dings, and I hear her run to the other side of the door. "Maria," she whispers. "Please."

    "Please what, Liza? And was it Jenna who texted back?" I'm on the other side of the door, just staring at myself in the mirror. I bet I can reapply the makeup on my cheek, cover it up. James told me not to do it when he was there. I guess I just forgot.